Woodruff

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.

Woodruff

Postby David S. » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 pm

The Woodruff, another pattern that I found in Mike Valla's book "The Classic Dry Fly Box". However, this fly has me a bit confused. In Valla's book the pictured fly has a yellow floss body and a brown tail, while the written description lists yellow body and grizzly tail? To further confuse things I cross-referenced the pattern in Eric Leiser's "The Dettes". The pattern can be found on pages 234 and 244 and is listed as: body: green, tail: grizzly, hackle: brown, wing: gray, grizzle spent. Does anyone know if there are several variants of this fly? For my little attempt I stuck with the pattern listed in "The Dettes" even though the fly pictured in Valla's book looks real tasty as well :D
/David S.

David S.

Re: Woodruff

Postby mikevalla » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:05 pm

David,
The photo in my "little dry fly" book printed a little light (and I think the photo was "adjusted" elsewhere). The dressing should have been written "yellow-green." The actual fly body I used isn't really "yellow." --Really a chartreuse shade (if you look in Darbee's plates, it even states that's the shade).
Without the strong photo strobes, it matches the original reasonably well, held in hand. (However--I used floss, not dubbing--to each their own).

I'm sorry I can't post the entire photo of a 1938 original here--because I can't do that and use it in my new book that's nearly completed. (And folks have been ripping off photos, too, and posting elsewhere). The little copyright symbol will do nothing to protect your images. There's no practical way to protect your art---what would you do, take a jet half-way around the globe to prosecute?

If the fly wasn't being used for the book, I would have been glad to show the entire fly. I'm about at the "finish line", and closing in on completing the monster.

But here's an authentic Woodruff--(the body at least.)

-MV

Follow me on Twitter
mikevalla

Postby David S. » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:11 pm

mikevalla wrote:David,
The photo in my "little dry fly" book printed a little light (and I think the photo was "adjusted" elsewhere). The dressing should have been written "yellow-green." The actual fly body I used isn't really "yellow." --Really a chartreuse shade (if you look in Darbee's plates, it even states that's the shade).
Without the strong photo strobes, it matches the original reasonably well, held in hand. (However--I used floss, not dubbing--to each their own).

I'm sorry I can't post the entire photo of a 1938 original here--because I can't do that and use it in my new book that's nearly completed. (And folks have been ripping off photos, too, and posting elsewhere). The little copyright symbol will do nothing to protect your images. There's no practical way to protect your art---what would you do, take a jet half-way around the globe to prosecute?

If the fly wasn't being used for the book, I would have been glad to show the entire fly. I'm about at the "finish line", and closing in on completing the monster.

But here's an authentic Woodruff--(the body at least.)

-MV

Thank you very much for clearing that one up Mike, I obviously made mine quite a bit greener than necessary ;) I can't say I have a full understanding of the problems of color management and printing, but I've made quite a few mistakes myself. What you see isn't always what you get is perhaps the best way to describe my experience...
Thank you very much for posting that picture, in actual fact the picture in your book isn't that far off when comparing the two side by side. Would that dubbing on the original perhaps be seal fur? It looks like shiny seal fur to me, or perhaps pig?
I understand there is no real way of protecting ones copyright on the Internet, there is always some bad with the good I guess. Perhaps posting small low resolution pictures would be sort of protective, but then what's the point of posting at all?
I'm glad to hear there's a new book on its way, I'll make sure to get a copy, your previous publications have been of great use, and joy, to me. Quite a few of the flies in my classic fly box have their origins in your publications and Eric Leiser's "The Dettes"..
/David S.

David S.

Postby mikevalla » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:18 pm

David,

Have a look at the McClane Darbee plates, too, if you have his Standard Fishing Encyclopedia. Elisie tied the Woodruff with a quite sparse, tightly wrapped, almost smooth wool body--chartreuse shade. However, others tied them pretty much scruffy, and beefy-bodied.

-Again, my mantra concerning these classic flies, like the woodruff when attempting to duplicate the dressings: "what tier crafted the fly, and in what era was the fly tied?" There are all kinds of variations.

-Mike
Follow me on Twitter
mikevalla

Postby Snowmass Angler » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:40 pm

OMG that box is amazing...(drooooool)
Snowmass Angler

Return to The Dry Fly