Cahill Quill

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.

Cahill Quill

Postby David S. » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:02 pm

I have found this beautiful patterns in several sources such as Bergman's "Trout" , Reuben Cross' "The Complete Fly Tier" and the early Dette-catalogues. A relative to the Ginger Quill perhaps, but does anyone know who invented the pattern? I went with the recipe listed in Mike Valla's "The Classic Dry Fly Box" and used ginger for hackle and tail, but there seems to be some variation in the recipe in different sources. "The Dettes" lists "brown" hackle and tail, and Cross lists "light or dark Cahill", Bergman lists brown hackle and tail and mandarin wings. I guess this was once a very popular pattern as it is listed in so many sources, I can kind of see why ;)
/David S.
David S.

Re: Cahill Quill

Postby Eperous » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Very, very nice yet again... ;) Sooooo.... when ya coming across the pond to fish some of your Catskill classics? :? In the meantime, keep on tying... :D

Ed
Eperous

Postby mikevalla » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:42 pm

Nice wings---that's about how I like to tie 'em myself :D
Follow me on Twitter
mikevalla

Postby David S. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:51 pm

mikevalla wrote:Nice wings---that's about how I like to tie 'em myself :D

Thank you very much Mike, I might have been studying your pretty pictures ;)

Eperous wrote:Very, very nice yet again... ;) Sooooo.... when ya coming across the pond to fish some of your Catskill classics? :? In the meantime, keep on tying... :D
Ed

Thank you Ed, I am actually thinking about visiting the Catskills area sometimes next summer. I would really like to visit the museum and perhaps do some fishing :)

/David S.
David S.

Postby mikevalla » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:16 pm

I guess this was once a very popular pattern as it is listed in so many sources, I can kind of see why ;)
/David S.

So, how many variations do you want to hear about? :) There's also a Cahill Quill Spent Wing that uses ginger hackle and grizzly hackle point wings. (same with a Ginger Quill Spent Wing).
Follow me on Twitter
mikevalla

Return to The Dry Fly