Vic Special

Vic Special

Postby catskilljohn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:52 pm

This is the final fly in the Fall Brook Trout series thats going into a display box for donation purposes.

Tail-golden pheasant tippet
Butt-herl
Body- flor.red [I used red floss with a silver tinsel underbody]
Wing-gray squirrel tail

CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"
catskilljohn

Re: Vic Special

Postby Eperous » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:49 pm

CJ - very nice... looks a lot like the one Wade gave me, identical to the bucktails those guys were using to catching 12"-14" wild brook trout up at White Pond this fall... As you know, Nelson Bryant of the NY Times wrote glowingly of this pattern... :D great tie, AGAIN!!! ;)

Ed
Eperous

Postby catskilljohn » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:26 am

Eperous wrote:As you know, Nelson Bryant of the NY Times wrote glowingly of this pattern... Ed

I know...thanks to you and Chris! Great story and thanks for your help with these ;) CJ
catskilljohn

Postby dennis » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:36 pm

Ed or CJ, I would like to know more about this streamer. I done a quick search and found a book named "Outdoors" by Nelson Bryant. In it he mentions a gentleman named Vic Pomiecko and him fishing the Sugar River in west-central New Hampshire. It mentions a simple red bodied gray squirrel tail streamer that Vic designed for brook trout more than 25 years ago.

CJ, you mention this pattern being the final fly in a Fall Brook Trout series for donation purposes. Was wondering if you would share the names of the other patterns used in this series. Thanks Dennis
dennis

Postby catskilljohn » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:53 pm

How about a shot of the finished project ;) ?

From the top going clockwise...

RC streamer, Vic Special orange body, Vic Special, Pass Lake, Jennie Lind streamer, Bergman Fontinalis, RC wet, Jennie Lind wet.

Ed has been helping me with some still water patterns he and his friends use at Frost Valley [its a members only kind of thing :lol: ] and I made 2 of these, though not identical. Barn wood frames and a topo of the area where the flies are used. Here is the link to Ed's post with some of the wet flies he uses...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=718&p=4913&hilit=jennie+lind#p4913

I will have them next weekend at Danbury. CJ
catskilljohn

Postby Eperous » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:20 pm

dennis wrote:Ed or CJ, I would like to know more about this streamer. I done a quick search and found a book named "Outdoors" by Nelson Bryant. In it he mentions a gentleman named Vic Pomiecko and him fishing the Sugar River in west-central New Hampshire. It mentions a simple red bodied gray squirrel tail streamer that Vic designed for brook trout more than 25 years ago.

Dennis, that's the pattern... I'll send you some material...

Ed
Eperous

Postby Eperous » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:41 pm

catskilljohn wrote:How about a shot of the finished project ;) ?

From the top going clockwise...

RC streamer, Vic Special orange body, Vic Special, Pass Lake, Jennie Lind streamer, Bergman Fontinalis, RC wet, Jennie Lind wet.

Ed has been helping me with some still water patterns he and his friends use at Frost Valley [its a members only kind of thing :lol: ] and I made 2 of these, though not identical. Barn wood frames and a topo of the area where the flies are used. Here is the link to Ed's post with some of the wet flies he uses...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=718&p=4913&hilit=jennie+lind#p4913

I will have them next weekend at Danbury. CJ

CJ - First of all, outstanding job... ;) Very, very nice work again, always as usual... :D

Secondly, membership at Frost Valley - which I am not hawking, cause I really like being by myself up there - is not closed, and not expensive especially when compared to other Catskill fly fishing clubs, but anyone who applies must pass a criminal background check cause lots of kids frequent the 6000+ acres Frost Valley owns along the upper reaches of the Neversink... :o :shock: :? :roll:

So CJ, I was wondering is that last requirement hindering your membership.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ed

PS - I'm PM'ing you on this one...
Eperous

Postby catskilljohn » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:57 pm

Eperous wrote: but anyone who applies must pass a criminal background check cause lots of kids frequent the 6000+ acres Frost Valley owns along the upper reaches of the Neversink... :o :shock: :? :roll:
So CJ, I was wondering is that last requirement hindering your membership.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

That depends...how far back do they check? ;)

Seriously, I have considered a membership there, because the few times I have been there were so great. Its just that the way things are now, you never know what tommorrow will bring. When the kids are a little older maybe. CJ
catskilljohn

Postby dennis » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:33 pm

As said, every picture tells a story. CJ that is beautiful. I really like the rustic look. Thanks man :)

Ed, you are always there to help some way, some how. And that's what is so special about SGM. :)

Really appreciate the info. Never fished the Mountains for brooks, but when I used to travel to Michigan during the fall steelhead runs on the Lower AuSable at Oscoda a friend and I always carried our trout gear with us for some small stream fishing. We always fished the Riffle and one of it's tributaries Houghton Creek. My buddy fished drys and me wets or streamers. My favorite patterns for brookies was either a Gray Hackle Peacock wet or a Houghton Lake Special streamer created by Bob Jewel close friend and mentor of Calvin Gates Sr. Rusty's dad who passed away not to long ago. We got more of a thrill catching those little browns and brookies than a 15 pound steelie.

That is a grand looking project. Whoever wins this at Danbury this weekend is a lucky person.

Ed, I see you found the materials for tying the Puffer, that is a great looking fly.
Got your e mail today. Looks like some great reading. Thanks very much, Dennis
dennis

Postby redietz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:23 pm

The frame is great -- really makes the whole project stand out.
Bob
redietz

Next

Return to Streamers & Bucktails