Hot spots--- what do ya think anyway…

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
quashnet

Re: Hot spots--- what do ya think anyway…

Post by quashnet » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:47 am

The Royal Coachman has been a classic, successful hot spot trout fly for well over a century, in many forms from fanwing and spentwing dry flies to wet flies, streamers, and more.

Flourescent tags are the norm in hairwing Atlantic salmon flies, as shown in some of these flies by Father Elmer Smith and J. Warren Duncan. Dunc gave me the little Ingalls Butterfly (upper right in photo) in 1988 on the Little SW Miramichi. I consider this split-wing wet fly to be a variation of the Royal Coachman (a version with the full Royal Coachman body, the Whirlijig, is less well known). When nothing else is working on trout, I sometimes fish a little Ingalls Buterfly down and across, as though for salmon. It's always fun because it reminds me of the Maritimes, and sometimes it works.

Please visit and bookmark the NEW Paul H. Young Rod Database at phydatabase.com

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:43 am

[quote="catskilljohn"

Here is a little orange hot spot on a fly I just finished...

CJ[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's great!!!
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:09 am

do hot spots have to be bright? i don't think so but sometimes it does help.

about duncs tips and tags...he liked to use white thread under the floss to help make the tags brighter. he also used silver tinsel under them to reflect as much light as possible. so he definitely believed in hot spots.

many salt water tyers up here are adamant about eyes on their flies saying that fish show a marked preference to them. so are hot spots some kind of eye to the fish? i've seen smallmouth bass's eyes glow red when they attack so could this explain why hot spots work at times ?

carrie stevens used different feathers as "cheeks". sometimes the jc was prominent but sometimes she used the smallest of jc. so are the cheeks more important to her flies than the jc? if so then would the cheeks be a hot spot?

love this stuff

gt05254

Post by gt05254 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:42 am

And then, of course, are some flies just one big hot spot? This fly was taken by 5 atlantics in the 30-36 inch range before I retired it. I mean, there's not a lot of chrome and purple bait fish running around out there.

Gary

gt05254

Post by gt05254 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:25 pm

more hot spots - on different ends of the fly:

Just having fun on a cold day,
Gary

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:08 pm

ted patlen wrote: ... carrie stevens used different feathers as "cheeks". sometimes the jc was prominent but sometimes she used the smallest of jc. so are the cheeks more important to her flies than the jc? if so then would the cheeks be a hot spot? ...
Not sure I would think of cheeks and/or jc has a hot spot... I was mulling this over last eve, and though my initial post above might have been "loose" in nature, I tend to take a more restrictive view of this... to me, I think a "hot spot" is a bright color of sorts--- red, orange, green, etc...--- that might not been seen on another living creature... but all of this is subject to one's own opinion and individual bias, IMO :P ...

corlay

Post by corlay » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 am

Ed - you also have shown your tie of an EHC with an orange 'hot spot" here in the past.
(not sure what thread that fly is buried in....)
I've emulated that tie for myself and have had good success with it on small streams...
Thank you.

Other patterns to add to the "Hot Spot" list that I use:
(all Wet Fly patterns):
Grey Hackle
Lady Beaverkill
Iron Blue Dun

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:35 am

gt05254 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:42 am
And then, of course, are some flies just one big hot spot? This fly was taken by 5 atlantics in the 30-36 inch range before I retired it. I mean, there's not a lot of chrome and purple bait fish running around out there.

Gary
Gary
Small young haddock and whiting are purple, silver and white- and I’m sure that salmon love feeding upon them! I have a fly very similar to yours that I use for salmon and striped bass that works fantastic .........just saying!

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Five years later, still loving HOT SPOTS, especially during winter months...

The red-butt black Conehead Woolly Bugger is a favorite freestone winter pattern...
HS1-Red-butt black CHWB, #8 Mustad 9672.JPG
HS1-Red-butt black CHWB, #8 Mustad 9672.JPG (45.87 KiB) Viewed 126 times
And my first couple 2019 wild trout succumb to these....

HS2-Winter fishing- red-butt Black CH WB bow.JPG
HS2-Winter fishing- red-butt Black CH WB bow.JPG (89.93 KiB) Viewed 126 times
Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Eperous wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:19 pm
Five years later, still loving HOT SPOTS, especially during winter months...
Ed
And five years later I still feel the same, I just can’t honestly say they work “better” than drab flies.

This is a great topic, one I always love talking about.

My thoughts are, confidence in a fly. I am on the side of, you put a fly, anything that vaguely resembles something that trout eat in that environment, and move that thing through there in a way fish are used to seeing it, your going to catch him. No special UV dubbing, hot spot or fancy synthetic do-dad is going to make the difference, it’s properly presenting it.

If you want to tye with hot spots, and any of the number of tricks we do to flies, and you have CONFIDENCE in it, and fish it as so, it’s going to work.

Matt mentioned the euro nymphing buddy he has, these guys design flies for the specific style they fish, typically fast water in close, and it’s deadly for a number of reasons. One, and what I feel is the most important, is most guys walk right past water like that so the trout don’t get pressured or even see conventional flies because they don’t get down fast enough.

I believe these guys tye hot spots and other things simply to break the monotony of making tiny heavy flies that look alike all the time😂

I’m glad you do good with your red butt bugger Ed, and I bet you fish it confidently😉. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"