Fish taking flies while nymphing

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
BodyWithoutOrgans88

Fish taking flies while nymphing

Post by BodyWithoutOrgans88 »

Hi All,

First, I want to say that I'm new to this--moved to Mount Tremper and started fly fishing in July. Have been having the time of my life, and I'm on the water most days. I've just started to dip into nymphing, and I've come up against a quandary:

It finally seems like I'm getting the flies to the correct depth, as I'm beginning to get some hits. However, I've hooked a couple of fish, and each time the fish breaks off/takes the fly. This does not happen on dry flies with any regularity, so I'm wondering if there's something different I'm not accounting for? Perhaps I need a stronger tippet?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Eperous

Re: Fish taking flies while nymphing

Post by Eperous »

Well, first of all welcome to this board and our regional area. I also live less than 5 minutes of our Esopus Creek... As I respond to this post, I believe late-season Isonychia and stoneflies are about on "our Esopus Creek"... these mayflies are swift movers and trout seem to strike quick and hard in response... I suggest you fish a nymph/wet fly tied with peacock herl, swing it on a tight line, strike and true...

E-Is-Iso soldiers.JPG
E-Is-Iso soldiers.JPG (108.51 KiB) Viewed 651 times
E-Is-13 in Spundun bow.JPG
E-Is-13 in Spundun bow.JPG (100.64 KiB) Viewed 651 times

Good luck,

Ed

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

You didn't indicate what size tippet you are using but I suggest 4-X which has an average rated breaking strength of 7 pounds. I use 4-X for almost all of my nymphing and doubt you'll have any break-offs with the average size Esopus trout. Also, only use the strongest knots, be careful tying them and moisten the leader material before tightening the coils. Finally, if you are using Nylon, keep in mind that it deteriorates with age and exposure to heat. You might also benefit by purchasing a fresh spool.

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman »

Are you sure you’re getting hits? Perhaps you’re just snagging bottom and losing the fly that way ? What size tippet are you using and does it differ from that being used w dries ?

BodyWithoutOrgans88

Post by BodyWithoutOrgans88 »

Thanks for the helpful comments everyone. Gonna keep at it, maybe change out to a 4x leader/tippet. Currently using 5x. I was sure that they were fish at the time—the line seemed more “active” than if it was stuck on the bottom-but who knows for sure.

In other news, I tried a new spot last night (familiar to every Esopus angler, I’m sure) and caught three hefty trout on an Ausable Wulff in about 20 minutes (had a fourth, lost it). For what it’s worth, the Wulff patterns have been bringing in my largest fish lately...Tried an iso emerger in the same spot this morning but no luck.

Nice fish Eperous! Look forward hopefully to seeing you out there sometime.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Two consistent things I have picked up while fishing isonychia nymphs:

1. It pays to strip this fly in rather quickly, as these nymphs swim faster than Baetis.
2. Due to the speed of these guys, fish always seem to hit them HARD.

Good Luck !!

Dana
“Time to go fishing”