Whose fishing now?

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Whose fishing now?

Post by Eperous »

The Esopus Creek was about 35 degrees this morning, after a night here locally that touched down into the teens... that's about a 10 F degree drop in water temperature since I fished the Esopus Tuesday... :roll: chilly!!! 8-)

Tuesday, there were some tiny black caddis about and a couple small browns I had to really work for....

Ed

E-OC-black caddis.JPG
E-OC-black caddis.JPG (78.96 KiB) Viewed 440 times
E-OC-b-day CHWB br.JPG
E-OC-b-day CHWB br.JPG (90.75 KiB) Viewed 440 times
E-OC-Jennings mid-Nov..JPG
E-OC-Jennings mid-Nov..JPG (84.76 KiB) Viewed 440 times

JoeCz

Re: Whose fishing now?

Post by JoeCz »

Nice job, Ed.

I plan on heading up to the B'kill/Willo Friday afternoon, when at least air temperatures are supposed to touch 50. I suspect water temps will still be around 35, but at least it will be a nice afternoon out on the water.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

The ponds by me have been pretty productive the past two weeks...water temps about 52 and fish picking midges...

BodyWithoutOrgans88

Post by BodyWithoutOrgans88 »

I've been in NJ all week helping my dad after he broke some ribs and collar bone in a motorcycle accident...I plan to be back in Mount Tremper by Saturday, and hope to get some time on the Esopus next week before the season ends. Maybe one or two more sessions on Jennings Pool. I must say that I wasn't having much luck the week before last before coming down here...hope to finish the season out strong!

HookI

Post by HookI »

Ed I've been out with a few SGM members & few non members ( travel separate cars of course ) & much more solo trips , continuing to go thru the winter more this year. My bucktail streamer with a touch of pink has been ready & active on the water already using = Orvis 7' Trout PolyLeader
Maybe I'll run into you over the winter. thanks for keeping the reading going here. stay well the other chuck
If it has fins I want to catch it .

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Upper Esopus yesterday, when air temps were 60+ degrees... caught a couple small wild browns on my winter fly--- Red-butt Conehead Woolly Bugger... high-sticking a short tight leader... and saw a couple redds, which I'm always on the lookout for so I don't step on them... I get really excited when I see these, as I know nature is running its course...

Ed

E-Le-2nd RB CHWB br.JPG
E-Le-2nd RB CHWB br.JPG (116.41 KiB) Viewed 335 times
E-Le-little redd.JPG
E-Le-little redd.JPG (126.28 KiB) Viewed 335 times

JoeCz

Post by JoeCz »

Small browns were the special of the day for me Saturday afternoon on the Willowemoc. I guess the bigger fish were getting busy elsewhere. A couple took a #12 pheasant tail, another took a #18 green wire caddis, all out of the same pool.
D398B501-E0E1-4E92-98B2-AFBF0326231A.jpeg
D398B501-E0E1-4E92-98B2-AFBF0326231A.jpeg (206.49 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Attachments
D9BBC847-06E0-4799-96D4-3F0E929BFB0F.jpeg
D9BBC847-06E0-4799-96D4-3F0E929BFB0F.jpeg (211.01 KiB) Viewed 302 times

redietz

Post by redietz »

i was out yesterday, mainly because I was curious if there was any sign of spawning activity yet. Water temps have been a bit high to trigger it yet, but it is getting to be late enough in the season that it needs to start soon. I found three redds; no fish on them. I didn't fish in that area.

I did fish in areas where the bottom was either leaf clutter (up to my waist in places) or silt -- no chance of disturbing spawners there. I ended up three small brown and two fall fish. Air temp was low sixties; water temp mid-fifties. I could have wet waded.

We're in desperate need of rain.
Bob

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

I have a video of rainbows on redds in the ponds near me. I cannot download it because it is "too large" and have absolutely no idea how to change that but this leads me to a discussion...Everyone (myself) included has said that rainbows spawn in the spring but after years of witnessing them here making redds, protecting and doing the mating dance makes me wonder what the hell is going on. I believe they need running water for the eggs to hatch but they are still going through the process 4 months before they're supposed to. Any budding biologists wanna think out loud?

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

There’s a lot of different answers to this, Ted. First and foremost is this: some of the rainbow strains have been genetically altered and they breed every single month out of the year. This was done to ensure a year-round supply of rainbow trout for the fresh fish market. Clear Springs Idaho which is one of the largest hatcheries anywhere is involved in this. Also, we had fish spawning year-round in the hatchery, as the bottoms of the raceways were gravel. We also had many that interbred: brookies browns and rainbows.

Dana
“Time to go fishing”