How many remember Harry Darbee

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Vance

How many remember Harry Darbee

Post by Vance »

How many remember Harry Darbee. It has been along time since he died. He was a character as he would rather talk to people on his porch then tie flies. I know back in the late fifties or early sixties I bought a few flies from him and they were $.35 each. Boy how time flies it is now 2020. It was so nice fishing back then as the Quickway ended in Livingston Manor then onto old 17 to Roscoe. I always stopped at Harry’s place to ask if anything was new and what was hatching. What was nice was my Aunt had a house trailer down in the flats behind Harry’s place. Go across bridge take first left and they were called the flats. What was bad is getting behind a milk truck on old 17 as you headed toward Roscoe. A lot of memories about pass years and fishing the streams in the Roscoe area. Bill Vance ( Bill the mailman )

ted patlen

Re: How many remember Harry Darbee

Post by ted patlen »

Hey Bill...at first I thought this was going to be a thread from a millennial asking about Harry. He was a lot more than a fly tyer, as you well know. Two of his "achievements" that I always think about was his development, along with Doc Fried and Andy Miner, of breeding for better dry fly feathers, and his biggest accomplishment, imo, as a spokesman to save the Neversink, Willow, Beaver Kill and east and west branches when the state built the quick-way.

yeah, I remember him.

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

Ted will probably remember when we invited him down to an East Jersey Chapter TU meeting and presented him with a plaque for his conservation work. Known as a talker, our thoughts were that after he received the award, he would talk about all the things he did and that would be our program for the night. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way and in his humble manner, he just accepted the plaque with little more than a thank you. The meeting ended early that night!

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hello Troutfisher and Ted, I know Doug and I am very good friends with Bill Adams who was the president of the East Jersey Chapter of TU. In fact Bill would come to our house at least once every two weeks for dinner. Now that he has found a girlfriend its probably once every two months. Bill and I did a lot of fishing together in Jersey and we would go up to the B’kill when ever we could. Say hello to Doug Penna for me and tell him Bill Adams is doing fine. Bill Vance

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

Hi Bill Vance. I went to Bill Adams' 90th birthday party and it was great seeing him again. I met his new girlfriend there. Incidentally, I sat at the same table with Doug Penna and his wife. He and I started the EJTU fly tying courses and ran them together for many years. He doesn't trout fish any longer and is living a happy retirement life in Manahawkin. :D

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi troutfisher, My wife and I were at Bill’s ninety and we also sat with Doug and his wife Toni. We were probably talking to each other with out knowing that I go by Bill the mailman on these web sites. Sure is a small world. Who knows maybe we will see each other on the B’kill or the Ramapo. Take care, Bill Vance ( Bill the mailman )

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

Bill Adams ! I haven't seen him in 40 years! glad to here's okay.. I see Doug every now and then at shows. EJTU was a special organization. I'm up on the cape now and the cctu is also a passionate org.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Seems like only yesterday, when I used to stop at Darbees(and the Dettes) shops, to pick up a few tips and a fly or two ........but that was well over 40+ years ago.
Times and faces change, new characters take the place of those who pass on. Rivers and hatches evolve; the passion for preserving clean water and fishing keeps everything moving right along......
“Time to go fishing”

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

I met/knew them both, though not well, but stopped in their shop a few times.... I even have a half-dozen dry flies they tied special order for me... that said, mostly I dealt with Elsie, who probably ran the business end of their shop... and mostly I purchased several used, some now out-of-print, fishing books from her/them... those were the days before the Internet, where one can search for used books... I recall receiving a one-two page type-written list of used books periodically that they were selling, every now and again.... those were the days, as Edward R. Hewitt wrote...

These days everytime I fish the Willowemoc at the Hazel Bridge Pool, I think of them....

Ed

tailwater

Post by tailwater »

I can say I did not know either of the Darbees. I stopped there once with a very good friend who knew Harry quite well. I wanted a bronze dun which he picked out and I bought. After a little idle talk he asked if I liked to tie and i said yes. He then offered me eggs of the bronze strain he was raising at the time. I had no where to raise them so declined. This was at least 50 yrs ago but I do remember thinking how crowded the shop was?