West Branch in winter?

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
JoeCz

West Branch in winter?

Post by JoeCz »

My wife had her first Covid vaccination in Binghamton on Saturday, so I dragged her on a detour coming home that went through Deposit, across the river and along a snow-covered, admittedly white-knuckle drive through the PA gamelands before returning to NY in Hancock. The water was largely ice-free (in contrast to what we saw of the Willowemoc and Beaverkill from Rt 17) and we saw 5 adult bald eagles, 1 juvenile eagle and an osprey as well as lots of waterfowl during our drive. The border waters of the WB and Main Stem are open for C&R during the winter months, but I haven't ever fished them because of the distance (and--let's face it--the cold temperatures). Has anyone here given them a try? Feel free to PM if you prefer, but I'm not looking for secret spots, just want to get an idea if it might be worth a try next time cabin fever strikes.

Eperous

Re: West Branch in winter?

Post by Eperous »

Thanks Joe... been thinking about this myself; even watched quite a few YouTube videos on this very topic, while exercising inside on our treadmill these snowy days... check these out, unless you're waiting on a PM.... I've been wondering if the WBD near the game lands had open flows, as it's a two-hour one-way drive for me also...

Good luck should you decide to go....

Ed

JoeCz

Re: West Branch in winter?

Post by JoeCz »

Ed,

Thanks for the heads-up on You Tube. It's nice to know the WB is a realistic possibility for winter wading. I've got a busy work schedule for the next couple of weeks (at least), so I don't think I'll get up there anytime soon, but I might just keep a closer watch on the Hales Eddy gauge next winter. Stay well!

Joe