Making a French nymphing Coil

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
northcountryman

Making a French nymphing Coil

Post by northcountryman »

I really like using the French coil as my sighter for distance nymphing. To me, there is very little difference between the coil (sometimes referred to as a "slinkie") and other floating indicators such as the "Thingamabobber" or yarn, for example; the only major difference being the coil often lies above the water's surface when in use. Of course, the coil-like any indicator used in nymphing- is only effective when it is highly visible--so, if your fishing your coil too far away from you, its basically useless!!

I'm still working on improving my formula and recipe; having said that, here is my latest output:
IMG_1108.jpg
IMG_1108.jpg (138.82 KiB) Viewed 383 times
This is my setup:

30lb Amnesia Chartreuse and Red Approx 18" each (I like the 30lb better than the 15lb simply because its "bigger" so, easier to see
Bloodknot pieces together
Perfection loop at each end
Wrap tightly around 2 1/2" Nail size 8D
Secure ends with cut rubber-band pieces to secure
Boil for 20 min thenfreeze overnight

Any comments/suggestions on improving would be great as I am FAR from being an expert here!!

Thanks,

NC Man

Halliday

Re: Making a French nymphing Coil

Post by Halliday »

So you're making them one at a time? Thats a great idea so when you destroy one you can just put another one in place and keep fishing. I usually make mine on a pen tube. I tie one end off to the tube then coil the whole length of the tube, tie off the last end, drop in boiling water for a few seconds then toss it in the freezer for a few minutes or run under cold water. I like your idea about the one at time method.

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman »

Oh ok, How do you tie them off at the ends of The pen, just an overhand knot?

Halliday

Post by Halliday »

I’ll drill a small hole in each end of the tube, pass the line through and tie it off. When I need some I’ll just cut the end and peel some off. When I get home from work next week I’ll make you one.