Lost my Fly Box to the Esopus Yesterday

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
BodyWithoutOrgans88

Lost my Fly Box to the Esopus Yesterday

Post by BodyWithoutOrgans88 »

A terrible upset...all of my dries and nymphs gone in one fell swoop. I should have been more careful wading in such treacherous conditions...lesson learned.

If anyone has a similar story, I'd appreciate some commiseration.

Eperous

Re: Lost my Fly Box to the Esopus Yesterday

Post by Eperous »

Never a fly box, have lost prescription polaroid sunglasses, more than once, a neat hand-crafted trout net, and a prized wading staff... it hurts, but as often said, "... time heals all wounds"... :cry: :cry:

... ps, Esopus has been ripping and off color of late, probably not the best fishing conditions... tribs might be a better option since they have water in them now... :|

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hello, Back in the 70’s while putting my fly box back in my vest pocket had it slip out of my hand. Thank heaven my father in law was about 30 feet down from me. He saw me chasing the box so he took out his net and snagged it for me. This was on the B’kill above Painters Bend. The one time I lost a good fly box was while fishing Flatbrook in Jersey. I went to tie on a different fly and no fly box. So someone dot all of my small black stone flies plus other nymphs. Thank heaven I tie up my own flies as it costs to much to buy the ones that I lost. Bill the mailman

BodyWithoutOrgans88

Post by BodyWithoutOrgans88 »

Good call on the tribs. I might try to get out on one this weekend...moving into our new house means less time to fish, but I'm eager to check out some new spots over there (all-the-way west Ulster).

Bill--I wish my father-in-law fished! Nice save.

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman »

Been there , done that my friend ! My advice is to cut your losses and let it go cuz like it or not , it’s all day gone lol!! All kidding aside , I’ve lost more than one over the years ; what I’ve learned from the loss is , ALWAYS take the extra couple of seconds to ENSURE your box is thoroughly secured In your vest/ pouch Via zippering . When you’re in a hurry due to excitement from the fishing experience is when you make a (costly ) fishing mistake . Be warned :shock: .

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

EVERYTHING I OWN is tied to me with 550 parachute cord: fly wallets, net, staff, etc…….
“Time to go fishing”

HookI

Post by HookI »

Lost more wet I phones than fly boxes Does anyone feel for me ?
If it has fins I want to catch it .

tailwater

Post by tailwater »

Use a Richardson fly box so they could get wet but would not loose any. I have to be honest and say no to having a phone on me while fishing.

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Theroe wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:13 pm
EVERYTHING I OWN is tied to me with 550 parachute cord: fly wallets, net, staff, etc…….
You forgot the hip flask, lol.

There's a place on the Big Green in Wisconsin I call the Bermuda Triangle, where I've lost two fly boxes and my eye glasses--three separate trips. It's hard to lose your glasses when they are on your head, but this is what you get when you try to carry your wife across the stream in a riffle not two feet deep--the trip was saved by a dentist I met at the pullout who loaned me his prescription sunglasses, which enabled me to drive home 4 hours with one eye closed.

Put your email address on your boxes, maybe?

bb

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

tailwater wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:53 pm
I have to be honest and say no to having a phone on me while fishing.
Amen!!! ;)