Wading sox recommendation?

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
troutfisher

Wading sox recommendation?

Post by troutfisher »

I wear two pairs of sox under my waders: a pair of ankle sox under a pair of heavy boot sox. I assume most of you do the same. I have nerve damage and the bottoms of my feet are sensitive and aching. I'm looking for a comfortable pair of ankle sox that is soft and heavy, without an elastic top to dig into my skin. Anybody have a recommendation?

Eperous

Re: Wading sox recommendation?

Post by Eperous »

While I can't comment on your foot/nerve damage, for more years than I care to remember I've worn Coolmax liner socks under my wading socks and these have served me well...

Just out of curious, why are you thinking about changing your approach?

Ed

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Sounds like you have a boot foot waders. If you do, a pair of gel sole inserts work wonders! As far as socks go, I found lighter and thinner is better. I have a thin pair of silk ski socks that I’ve had for well over 30 years that work excellent.
“Time to go fishing”

Caneghost

Post by Caneghost »

Indeed the gel inserts are great for bootfoot waders or wading boots. I wear heavyweight Woolrich Merino wool socks myself. I have neuropathy so double socks mean too tight a fit on my toes and trouble. The real heavy merino works best, though in frigid winter weather I will add a pair of very light Patagonia Capilene liner socks.

I was able to order the Woolrich socks online from Wal-Mart for a very reasonable price. Have not seen them in the stores for years, where they were $6.99 a pair. I still have several pairs after twenty years.
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Caneghost wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:56 pm
... I was able to order the Woolrich socks online from Wal-Mart for a very reasonable price. Have not seen them in the stores for years, where they were $6.99 a pair. I still have several pairs after twenty years.
Wow, I try to stock on socks I like also, when I come across them... but rarely get more than one-and-a-half seasons (200+ fishing trips) out of my socks, except for the liners...

I also used to stick a gel pad in my wading shoes when dealing with plantar fasciitis, when I did a fair amount of running, slow, non-speed distant running... I have not needed those in years as I don't run anymore, but still do quite a bit of walking... I find that when walking indoors on the treadmill, trying to ramp-up speed, I get an issue in my right knee and thinking about getting a gel pad for my snickers to see if that helps...

Ed

tailwater

Post by tailwater »

If you want warm feet use Bison or Yak. They are expensive but they are the warmest.