"The Classic Dry Fly Box"--book release

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
mikevalla

"The Classic Dry Fly Box"--book release

Post by mikevalla » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:45 pm

As a result of our C-John's gracious mention of book #2, on this forum and others, I've been deluged with inquiries as to "when is the release date" as well as wondering about other details. Here's the update, to help answer the various questions that have rolled in:

>First, I want to say that there is no selfish interest in the mentioning here of the planned LTD Edition (signed and numbered) hardcover volume of "The Classic Dry Fly Box"--100 classics from Coast to Coast--with brief notes/anecdotes/history. I'm donating 100% of the royalties to the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum. They need all the cash they can get right now. There are roofing issues, repairs, general needs.

> Release Date: I have a short mtg. with my publisher this week. A November release was planned, in the timetable, but the "exact" date isn't known. I'll try to get an update from them.

>Price for the LTD. Not sure, but I'll ask and update again. Again, my royalty is $00.00 per copy. So, if you do get one (the LTD is just that-- very limited) please consider that it's a fundraiser, and the purchase monies will go to a good place (that way, you can justify the purchase to your significant other)

>Pre-Ordering. A common question. I'll ask them about it this week, and get back to you. I'm certain pre-ordering will happen.

> "Trade Edition": Yes, beyond the LTD there is a "trade edition" planned, but probably paperback.

Thank you, CJ, for passing on the word. And thank you all, for your interest!

And here's a preview image:

Follow me on Twitter

the wolf88

Re: Book #2 : Update

Post by the wolf88 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:36 pm

boy mikey you really make us droiling over it :lol:

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:39 pm

Man, if that Ginger Quill was the only photo in the book...it would still be worth buying ;)

Thanks for the update Mike, I too have been inundated with questions of when and where...now I can direct them to this post.

Not for nothing, but if anyone plans on getting a copy of this book, dont hesitate, these will be gone fast. I already know of around 25 people that are preparing to set up tents on the museum lawn to be first in line.

CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:19 pm

put me in for one thanks

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:50 am

"The Classic Dry Fly Box"--100 classics with brief notes/anecdotes/history

Here is the update from the Publisher, as of yesterday's meeting (for the LTD Edition that will serve as a royalty donation to the CFFCM. Again, my take is $00.00 for the LTD Edition, so no selfish reason here for me to post). Just an FYI.

> Release: I viewed a couple of the pages, and it looks neat--and they are talking about a "leather" cover. Should be released very soon...but not in time for the CFFCM "Arts" show in early November. But there will be a informational piece out then.

>There will be only 100 LTD Edition volumes. So, the LTD is truly an LTD. Signed and numbered 1-100. The LTD Edition is $100.00. Again, to benefit the CFFCM.

--25 LTDs will be put aside for the "general pool" of prospective purchasers. Royalties will go to the CFFCM.
--75 LTDs will be put aside for members of the CFFCM to have first dibs. Royalties to the CFFCM

A few extra copies (10) will be printed that are not part of the 100 series (with a different book plate) for future general CFFCM dinners/auctions fundraising purposes.

>There will also be a paperback "trade edition".

>Pre-Orders: Word got out, and Whitefish Press already has a list going for pre-orders. If you want to reserve an LTD copy you need to contact the publisher directly ( Whitefishpress@yahoo.com.). They are aware of this, and will take your name. )You can contact the CFFCM to get on their list, too, if you are a member--but not sure if they have a list sheet going yet).

-Mike
Follow me on Twitter

narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:51 pm

I will cry if I don't get one. :(

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:19 pm

I called the museum and requested a numbered copy, Erin said people are starting to reserve them, so if you want a book thats sure to increase in value as time goes by, nows the time to call.

I was talking to Dr Todd [the guy thats publishing them] at the gathering and he is very excited about this issue ;) The CFFCM's number is...845-439-4810.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Mike/CJ - thanks for the update... perhaps I misunderstood, I just checked Clarks Classic Rod Forum under BOOKS, but found no info - so I posted a question regarding this... in the past, I use to be able to download a form from Whitefish Press and order their books, not the case on this on?

CJ - at the rod gathering, was Wes Jordan's son there, and if so, do you know if his book on his dad was published yet?

Thanks.

Ed

PS - I put myself on the wait list, now I'm having a hard time waiting... :lol: :o ;)

mikevalla

Re: Book #2 The Covers...

Post by mikevalla » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Here are the Low-Res book covers, front and back. And remember...the LTD Editon is being a fundraiser--all royalties go to CFFCM
So, again, no selfish reason for posting here. :)

Follow me on Twitter

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:41 pm

Aint that perty...

Looks perfect Mike...really looking forward to it. CJ