Opening day conundrum

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
catskilljohn

Opening day conundrum

Post by catskilljohn »

So, I recently found out some troubling news.

Opening day of the NY season is on Easter Sunday next year. This has never occurred in my fishing history. I am seriously bummed about it, as it has always been my plan to participate in the opening day ceremonies at junction pool and it’s surrounding areas every opener.

Do any of you know what the protocol is when this happens? Does the Chamber of Commerce celebrate it the following Saturday? You can’t have it the Saturday before for obvious reasons.

We host Easter here at the pa house every year, and so far I have been fortunate to have not had it interfere with opening day weekend, so I’m thinking I may need to get a quick divorce so the fishing plans don’t get screwed up? 😎

What do you think? CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Theroe

Re: Opening day conundrum

Post by Theroe »

John
I think it did happen once before either in the late 70s or very early 80s....No way I could escape Easter (just like everybody else), so I fished Cairn’s pool on Saturday and stayed home Sunday.

I love the ceremony as well as do many of us. You COULD get up real early drive to Roscoe, be at Junction pool for 8 o’clock, possibility fish a bit, hang around till 11AM,then run home!

Crazier things of happened !!!
“Time to go fishing”

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

I don’t think you could fish Saturday, it would b the last day in March?

I just don’t know why Easter floats around so much😡. CJ

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

CJ, ya know those thousands of hare's ear mask fly patterns you have been tying for decades? It's the Easter Bunny getting even with you! :lol: :lol:

John

Algyros

Post by Algyros »

Missing opening day just to avoid a divorce may be going a bit far. But, far be it for me to tell others how to live their lives.

HookI

Post by HookI »

catskilljohn wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:03 am
So, I recently found out some troubling news.

Opening day of the NY season is on Easter Sunday next year. This has never occurred in my fishing history. I am seriously bummed about it, as it has always been my plan to participate in the opening day ceremonies at junction pool and it’s surrounding areas every opener.

Do any of you know what the protocol is when this happens? Does the Chamber of Commerce celebrate it the following Saturday? You can’t have it the Saturday before for obvious reasons.

We host Easter here at the pa house every year, and so far I have been fortunate to have not had it interfere with opening day weekend, so I’m thinking I may need to get a quick divorce so the fishing plans don’t get screwed up? 😎

What do you think? CJ
As a Roman Catholic I would attend the early 6am mass , fish the junction pool , then take the family take out for lunch 1pm . Sooner or later you have to answer to the good lord or your wife ...take your choice . Its probably going to rain anyway
If it has fins I want to catch it .

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Johnny,

I didn’t make the Easter bunny connection, but I think you nailed it man, he does look unhappy.

Of course the divorce comment was written in jest, me and my better half get along quite well😉

I guess I’ll send the C of C an e-mail to see what they plan to do. Being a superstitious type, I’m afraid if I don’t pay my dues standing in 8” of snow at junction pool on the opener, the fishing gods may look down on me in disgust the rest of the year. Don’t want that for sure, and I’ll take my chances with the Easter bunny, I’m sure I outweigh him by a bunch. CJ

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

CJ, I always missed my mother-in-law's birthday cuz it was the Brown Drake hatch time on the Namekagon. Luckily, both my mother-in-law and wife were not upset.

Go to the sunrise service than hit the junction pool.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

What a great thread ......

Figuring out how to overcome life’s largest obstacles, and pondering the mysteries of life ...
Priceless!
“Time to go fishing”

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

catskilljohn wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 am
... I don’t think you could fish Saturday, it would b the last day in March?
Cairns Pool is in the No Kill, one can fish the No Kill year round... including Christmas, New Year's, and Easter--- or the day before... ;)

Ed