Crampons... for wading...

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Crampons... for wading...

Post by Eperous »

Many years ago, when I wandered the Great Lake rivers for salmon, steelhead, and browns... I also wore a pair of Korkers on my wading boots... I don't fish there anymore, nor do I own any Korkers...

Well, we live on a hill, and often I shovel, or sometimes use our snow blower to clear our long, and steep driveway... I can vividly recall a few very early episodes, in the dark, when I still taught middle school and had to be up, upside shoveling in the dark to get to work, a few of those falling flat on my a$$... when I purchased the snow blower, my neighbor suggested I also purchase a pair of crampons for the hill, so the blower does get away from me, or maybe worse yet, run over me...

So I did... I purchased a pair of Yaktrax... love 'em... so I purchased my wife a pair also... they grip great!

FYI: https://yaktrax.implus.com/

Now, I'm thinking I'd like to purchase a pair of crampons for fishing, to put over my wading shoes...

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ed

BrownBear

Re: Crampons... for wading...

Post by BrownBear »

Eperous wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:40 pm
Now, I'm thinking I'd like to purchase a pair of crampons for fishing, to put over my wading shoes...

Any suggestions?
I'll get the "Do Nots" out of the way first. Don't buy any variety that features solid bars. That is unless you're really, really good at splicing fly lines or flush enough to buy several a season. Drop a stray coil of line onto a rock or cobble shoreline, then step on it with the bar-type traction aids. They're as quick and effective as paper cutters.

I tried your envisioned Yaktrax and they were fine except on smooth rocks with a coating of slime. Just tend to slip too much for my tastes unless the rocks have texture. I prefer spikes or screw-in's of some sort for better traction on slick slimy rocks. A little less traction than chains on steep muddy banks, but much better for general wading on rock or cobble bottom. I grew up wearing corked logging boots on big Western streams, most notably the North Umpqua with its sheer lava shelves. My wife and I have both sworn off Korkers for fabric failures on the uppers and a nasty habit of the replaceable soles to break off their rear tie straps.

We broke down and bought Simms with their screw-in spikes, and we wear them all the time. Haven't tried the versions with both felt and spikes due to the felt prohibition in Alaska, but I hear they are even better.

Slipping and falling is not an idle consideration for anyone on blood thinners, as is my wife. She slipped on a shoreside rock (when the rear strap broke on a Korker sole) landing her full weight on a knee. Ended up with a hematoma the size of a grapefruit that caused considerable hand wringing in the ER and put her off her feet for a week, out of fishing action for over a month.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

BrownBear wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:17 pm
... I tried your envisioned Yaktrax and they were fine except on smooth rocks with a coating of slime. Just tend to slip too much for my tastes unless the rocks have texture. ...
BrownBear... thanks for your feedback and comments... I use the Yaktrax for walking over snow/ice, not fishing... I know about the falling down part... two years ago while hiking up to the Mt. Tremper fire-tower mid-October, after the ground was covered with leaves, I went down on loose cobble while totting an expense SLR, my pride-and-joy camera... rather than destroy that, and the other lens I carried, I rolled to my side saving the camera equipment, but soon after developing bursitis in my right hip... now, I rethink that decision... :(

Ed

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Best wading "assist" I ever used (and still have) were the old Dan Bailey rubber overshoes soled with felt amended by aluminum angle iron chunks in a chevron pattern. The rubber shoes slipped easily over any wading shoe on which I tried them. I have never found a river bottom on which these will not hold.

Merry Christmas,

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

tailwater

Post by tailwater »

Years ago many of the battenkill regulars used boot chains over real felt. I say real felt as the stuff they call felt now is a mix of dacron and hard felt. Real woven felt was used in the paper industry and it was replaced by the synthetic mix. The last time I saw real woven felt used on wading boots was Gary Borger boots. I put some of the real felt on a pair of worn out borger's last year.

dead drift

Post by dead drift »

Dan Baily aluminum barred, slip on rubbers were the ticket. Bought my first pair in the mid 70's.The only problem is when they wear down they are shot. The good thing is they make you an inch taller when new, but like real life you get shorter every time you wear them.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

I purchased a pair of Yaktrax Streamtrekkers as I really like the Yaktrax Pro's I have for snow & ice... :D I've yet to receive them, but hope to test them out this winter if I can find some semi-open water to drown some nymphs... :(

Ed

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

A UPS driver today brought me this belated Christmas gift...

Stream crampons.JPG
Stream crampons.JPG (292.86 KiB) Viewed 662 times

... give me just a little ice-free water, and I'm ready 2 go! ;)

Ed

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Ed
Those look...very nice, and quite powerful. One thing I have noticed with super grippy things like this: my legs are not as strong as they used to be. Last year i wasn't as steady as in years past, so I bought a pack of those hex screws with the hard steel welded on top....I then proceeded to blanket the bottom of my Simms brogues with said studs. Issue NOW is there is no "slip" or give......i twisted my knee good as I was crossing one day. So im rethinking this now, to find a happy medium.
When I was younger, I had a pair of thick black Red Ball waders, to which we barge cemented this grey blue felt. Never slipped, slid or leaked......but they were cold as ice!

Theroe
“Time to go fishing”

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

Just beware of stepping on your fly line!