Thanks and photos from Fly Fest '12

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Mochaboy

Thanks and photos from Fly Fest '12

Post by Mochaboy »

I consider myself a connoisseur of many things, and when i find something I'm interested in, it's not uncommon to dedicate an obscene amount of time to developing an intimate knowledge of that subject matter. In other words, I consider myself a perpetual student.

Fact is, as much as I love fly fishing, fly *tying is a whole other world altogether, a world that, after attending, I realized I've explored maybe 3% of (truth be told, before I went to FF - I figured I had maybe 50% of it figured out).

My flies are passable, and what's more they catch fish, but when you're tying for presentation - good lord, the measure of skill, dexterity and aesthetics you gentlemen displayed was nothing short of awe inspiring.

Of course, I didn't know a living soul there, so who do I have dubious pleasure of sitting next to but not one but two of our local celebrities...John Bonasera and Ted Patlen. I had a whole raft of ties I wanted to try that day, but - how do you follow after those two?

So I dropped back to one thing that I DO know and do extremely well...I tell stories through my pictures. Who knows, maybe 30 years from now - some other new tyer might stumble on my work and marvel the same way I did reading through Mike Valla's book.

But enough of me - it was a real pleasure meeting all of you guys, and I'm sorry I didn't get around to speak to everyone - I was having a hard enough time soaking up what I could from the grand masters I was seated next to. I also got to tie next to Tim Didas (salute) who surprised me at how delicate a touch he had for such meaty marine fingers, wow talk about a class act and all around nice guy - Hope to fish with you in the future.

And to Eperous - thanks for the fish tales
Rick Miller - I remembered every word you shared about the 4 stages of a fisherman :)
JB - Thank for the constructive critiques and the warm welcome, hoping I can do my part to preserve our heritage in the coming years
Mike Valla - Most parents will read the cat and the hat to their kids, I'll be reading the signed copy of your book to mine
John Bonasera - I can see why you have the following you do, thanks for taking it easy on the new guy :)
and of course Sarah Palin's biggest fan - Joe Fusco ... appreciate all your insights bro...

Alright so on to the photos...
Last edited by Mochaboy on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mochaboy

Re: Thanks and photos from Fly Fest '12

Post by Mochaboy »

Soon :) (from covered bridge in Livingston)

Thanks again Mike

Care of Tim Didas - The Jack Gartside's Salmon Sparrow

One of Catskill John's creations (sorry didn't get the name)

John Bonasera at work

Brandt right?

What's in Ted Patlen's box?

The Gordon by Catskill John

The Best of Fest Winners

will post a few more photos later...
Last edited by Mochaboy on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mochaboy

Post by Mochaboy »

I'm not sure if I got all the photos of the entries, but here's the few that I managed to capture with my macro setup. I'm hoping JB can put some names to the entries.

And of course this handsome man...

willowhead

Post by willowhead »

Great pics Mochaboy.....thankx for sharing. ;)

zazzer

Post by zazzer »

Damn them is some sexy flies. looking Great everybody,

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 »

good job.. I was sitting next to CJ..... nice to meet ya :D

dennis

Post by dennis »

Welcome Mochaboy great pictures.
Dennis

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

All,

It was great to meet everyone at the table and to tie alongside you at Fly Fest. What a friendly and talented group, and getting together for such a great cause was just the ticket for curing the end of winter (hopefully!) blahs.

Ed-Thanks for your kind words. It was great to finally get to meet you in person.

Lito-Fantastic pics, and great company!

CJ-Thanks for the welcome!

Best,

Tim

corlay

Post by corlay »

Mochaboy wrote:I'm not sure if I got all the photos of the entries, but here's the few that I managed to capture with my macro setup. I'm hoping JB can put some names to the entries.
'Peeking Caddis', right?
I've always been fascinated by "backwards" fly patterns...