First...

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

First...

Post by Eperous » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:23 am

So what was the first stream you ever caught a trout in? In my case, in was the Rahway River in New Jersey, far from a classic trout stream, a put-and-take watercourse at best. But I was a pre-teen and back then we were young noble knights of the eternal Order of Sir Izaak Walton and the Rahway River was our preordained turf.

To stoke the embers of those fond memories, my wife recently did this 5x7 watercolor for me.

WC-Genesis, 5x7.JPG
WC-Genesis, 5x7.JPG (87.56 KiB) Viewed 671 times

It wasn't until the late 60s when I fished the Adirondacks, and then the Catskill did I ever encounter a wild trout. But those NJ hatchery fish, complements of hatchery trucks, taught me to treasure and respect wild trout fisheries. Oddly enough, I didn't caught a wild trout in the Garden State until 2013, when I purchased a NJ fishing (nonresident) license after I stopped fishing the state some 40+ years prior. Now I create new memories of wild trout in the state home to the Rahway River.

Where was your first trout caught?

Ed

ted patlen

Re: First...

Post by ted patlen » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:44 pm

My first???? hell i couldn't tell you but it probably in the musky, above the falls.

i can tell you of the first trout I caught on a fly I tied and I could bring you to that exact same spot. but i can't say where the first trout came from.

good question

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:06 pm

First trout? That would have to be in the brook coming out of Dean Pond in Western Mass. I was four then--and remember the trip well, because it was the time when I tried to use poison ivy as toilet paper. I learned a lot that trip.

First trout on a fly I tied was on the Farmington, above the reservoir in Western Mass also. That was almost a decade later, I think I was 14. I still have the fly--a fat yellow Colorado caddis.

bb

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:55 pm

In the headwaters of the Cimarron River on the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico -- a little wild rainbow on a Mickey Finn streamer I had just tied in a class. Proud? You bet ;) .

cwfly

Post by cwfly » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Comstock Brook, Wilton, Conn. about 1952 and it was most certainly not on a fly.

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:47 pm

Eperous wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:23 am
Where was your first trout caught?
Tough call because I started so young- my mom's lore sezz it was in 1953 I was only 3. Best bet if she is right was a Gila trout in New Mexico's Gila Wilderness, accessed from the ranch on horseback.

But it could well have been an Apache trout in Arizona's White River when I was 5 on the White River Apache reservation.

I didn't really know anything about stocked trout till we moved to CA in the 60's and stockers were the closest and most accessible. But as soon as I got a drivers license, it was up to me where I fished. I got back into wild trout then with the Kern River Rainbow and the golden trout in the High Sierra.

Nice memories all around, and thanks for that!

chase-da-dog

Post by chase-da-dog » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:31 pm

My first was a 9" brown in Lower Mountain Pool on the Beaverkill , July of 1966. Boy that makes me feel old!

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:23 pm

My first trout was from the little tiny brook out in back of my grandparents barn in NH; I was 4 or 5. Every free minute I had was spent fishing that little brook. My son caught his first trout on that same brook. My grandson just turned 1 and we've already got him a rod and reel ...just waiting. My first trout on a fly came from either the Connecticut River in Pittsburg NH or the Fish River thoroughfare above Eagle Lake here in Maine; the memories get a little muddy after all these years.

Algyros

Post by Algyros » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:51 pm

I must have been ten or so when I bought a gaudy fly from the general store in Windham. My parents took me to the Schoharie somewhere (I remember it was by a bridge, but not where the bridge was). I remember how luminous the river was, bright and clear. I had the clunkiest imaginable fly rod and somehow, in spite of myself, I cast the fly across stream and started retrieving when small rainbow took it. The rainbow was colored like its name. I've never caught a more beautiful fish, nor one that has meant more to me.

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Hmmmmm
Saddle River in Rivervale, NJ.......salmon egg, I think.
“Time to go fishing”