Lost Fly Box - Wagon Tracks on Beaverkill

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Matt Grobert

Lost Fly Box - Wagon Tracks on Beaverkill

Post by Matt Grobert »

On Saturday my good friend Steve Ohman was fishing and dropped his favorite fly box in the drink. It was his "hatches" box and its been with him for decades. It had his name on it and an Ossining NY address. He lives in Ohio now and makes the 7 hour drive a few times a year to fish the upper Delaware system with us. If you know of anyone that may have found it, please let me know so we can get it back to him. It has great sentimental value and he was quite bummed Saturday evening.

Thanks much!

Matt ><)))))'>

Theroe

Re: Lost Fly Box - Wagon Tracks on Beaverkill

Post by Theroe »

.....the ghost of SPARSE GREY HACKLE strikes again!!

All kidding aside, I fish there quite a bit - I will look for you. What type of box was it? If it is metal, it probably made it to behind the big rock "opposite the wall"....anything lighter usually turns up on the bank at the bottom of the pool, roadside. It might even be caught up by the old beaver house....

Good Luck

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Theroe wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:06 am
.....the ghost of SPARSE GREY HACKLE strikes again!!
There's a spot on the Big Green in SW Wisconsin that I call the Bermuda Triangle--I can't go there without losing something, or without something going wrong. Not once, but twice I lost fly boxes there. Once I lost my glasses. Another time--it's a long story--I dropped my wife in the stream when carrying her across. I don;t go there any more.

Maybe I should avoid the Wagon Track pool too?

I hope you find the fly box! It's always a fear I'll drop one (the Nerodas sink fast) or it'll float away (the Dewitts do that, at least until they fill with water and sink too).

bb

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

That is just one of the reasons I use felt fly wallets, and I have them tethered to me!!! :D
“Time to go fishing”

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid »

I'm tired of chasing boxes down the stream. I haven't lost one yet but I've boogered up a lot of runs by thrashing my way downstream after them. I tried to do the Henry Blake thing and wear a days worth of flies on a hat; my wife said I looked ridiculous. I said I was finally old enough to not care what I looked like anymore.

Tethering a fly wallet to yourself has possibilities... I've got half a dozen of those that I haven't used in years.

The Novice Returns

Post by The Novice Returns »

I found a large Wheatley fly box at the Sunoco Pool one time.

Unfortunately it was desecrated with bead heads, foam monstrosities and the desiccated remains of three or four nightcrawlers.

I was able to return it to Catskill John the very next day and he rewarded me with a Chernobyl Grasshopper on a size 2/0 salt water hook that I have to this day.
"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." --Arnold Gingrich

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

The Novice Returns wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:53 am
I found a large Wheatley fly box at the Sunoco Pool one time.

Unfortunately it was desecrated with bead heads, foam monstrosities and the desiccated remains of three or four nightcrawlers.

I was able to return it to Catskill John the very next day and he rewarded me with a Chernobyl Grasshopper on a size 2/0 salt water hook that I have to this day.
:roll: That's funny, even though a lost fly box is normally not a laughing matter. :lol:

tailwater

Post by tailwater »

Richardson fly box solves all problems. If it goes downstream so do you.

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

tailwater wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:17 pm
Richardson fly box solves all problems. If it goes downstream so do you.
That's pretty much why I quit wearing fly vests in favor of shoulder bags. Repeated unscheduled navigation of large fast rivers made me highly resistant to anything heavy and bulky strapped onto my body. ;) If it's heavy and you can't shed it easily and quickly, I call it an anchor. Darned hard to self-rescue with an anchor tied to your body. I've donated a couple of fishing bags to big rivers when swimming became the order of the day, and glad to do it. I can always make another bag and replace fly boxes and spare spools. There's too much fine print on the back of my life insurance policy to do it any other way!

tailwater

Post by tailwater »

Not sure if you think a Richardson box would be an anchor but it weighs very little. Much less than shoulder bags and once your waders fill they almost help keep you afloat. it is when you try and exit the water the weight of the filled waders becomes a problem. (Sorry for getting off the original post.)