Wading staff

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Wading staff

Post by Eperous »

So my question(s) is, at what age, or where, do most folks typically start using a wading staff? :?

For many years I relied upon a collapsable ever-reliable Folstaff... but now I require a "stick" just to wander from my truck to the water... :cry:

Here's me in my younger, more spry days... before I needed a wading staff... :roll:

Wading.jpg
Wading.jpg (40.8 KiB) Viewed 854 times

Thus my question is, when or where do most board members use a wading staff?

By the way, my preference now is one made of a wooden product that will float downstream of me. :) ;)

Ed

BrownBear

Re: Wading staff

Post by BrownBear »

I used my first wading staffs (wooden and homemade) almost 50 years ago while doing stream research in graduate school. Strap on a very heavy pack and make many stream crossings over slick rocks, and it was almost a matter of survival. I've used them on and off ever since depending on the water, but in the last 10 years it's been entirely ON in moving water.

While I have long used a trusted wooden staff for clambering mountainsides (same one from grad school, as a matter of fact), I still prefer a folding staff in the water. I had notable failures of Folstaffs in tough situations (I'm 6'4" and 230#), and a few years back switched to the longer model of the Simms. It's held up without the slightest glitch. Mine is attached to my wading belt on whichever is my downstream side so it trails below me in the current. Never felt the need for flotation, but you have me wondering now....

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

I have not gotten to the point that I need a wooden staff but I will not fish without my Folstaff. I have the smaller version that they no longer make and wore the tip out. When I did that about 10 years ago I bought the larger version and now have worn that one out. Joe had one come in on consignment and I bought it. I'll send the worn out staff for repair.

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hello, I took an old rake handle and made my own wading staff. After you drill a hole for the rope to hook up to your vest. Take a torch and burn the handle this tightens the fiber in the handle then paint it with polyurethane about three coats. I drilled a hole in the bottom and put in a old drill bit and inserted it with apoxy I left about 1inch showing. I have been using it for years I just polyurethane every year before fishing season. Bill the mailman

redietz

Post by redietz »

I started using a wading staff for big water (like the Potomac) about the time I turned 50. 16 years later, I use one on pretty much all waters, except a few select spring creeks. Even if I don't need it for balance in fast water, my knees and back are both shot, and I sometimes need some support just to get back to the car.

I use a ski-pole type staff with a cork handle (purpose built as a wading staff). It has a bungee cord with a clip so that I can attach it to my belt, and another clip on the staff itself, so that I can attach it to my vest when not in use. I seldom fish without it.

That guy in the picture? I did that once after my first back surgery. I'll do it again if I have to.
Bob

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

i have a wood one made of ash, that a nice guy gave me up on Cairns Pool one day 12-15 years ago.....it is tethered to my belt with 3' of 550 cord.

Never fish without it ...
saved me many times in swift water.

Retrieves metallic things I drop (neodymium magnet on the bottom).

Plus its a good snake basher - very few things worse than being waist deep in the Delaware, and that "stick" that was drifting by starts swimming towards you........... looking for a nice warm rock to crawl out and sun on.

i had one in my net once.......but thats a whole other saga. If you ever read Jim Bashlines' "Night Fishing for trout", the story about Pinney catching a bat in the pitch black, and stomping his pipe to pieces, you have a VAGUE idea of what I went through.

try not to wet your pants.......
“Time to go fishing”

Vance

Post by Vance »

Theroe, Lenny and I would fish the Lacky up by Hawley and we would catch a Bat once in awhile. We would reel it in to the tip of the fly rod and put it in the water for about 10 minutes just to be sure it was going to the great beyond. That was 10 min. Of not fishing we would curse the things out while it was under water. Bill Vance

redietz

Post by redietz »

Vance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:15 pm
Theroe, Lenny and I would fish the Lacky up by Hawley and we would catch a Bat once in awhile. We would reel it in to the tip of the fly rod and put it in the water for about 10 minutes just to be sure it was going to the great beyond. That was 10 min. Of not fishing we would curse the things out while it was under water. Bill Vance
I've always just held them in place with my foot while I remove the hook from the wing (which is where every one I've landed has been hooked. I like bats too much to deliberately kill them.
Bob

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid »

I started using a wading staff after having spinal fusion surgery 6 years ago. I'd always been a fearless wader and I remember being so surprised by my loss of confidence after recovering; I won't walk through a puddle in my yard without one any more. I've made a bunch of them from small saplings here on the farm using different woods. Then I took the rubber bases off a bunch of old geriatric devices and mounted them on the bottom of the staffs. I also experimented with a piece of old wading boot felt, gluing that onto one of the bases as an experiment; the results weren't any better than just the plain rubber though.

I'm a big guy and the one time I tried an aluminum staff I caught it between a couple of rocks and it folded up faster than Roberto Duran.

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman »

I’ve been thinking about getting one for the reL fast water with a lot of rocks like in the gorge and parts of the Esopus. For normal wading situations , really don’t need it : yet! Lol 😆