Bald eagles and black bears

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Bald eagles and black bears

Post by Eperous »

My wife and I got several miles of exercise in today trekking along NYC's mighty Ashokan Reservoir, almost at 100% capacity on the August 12th. Along the way we saw a bald eagle, black bear, and wild turkeys--- though no photos of the turkeys. It's our second bear sighting in less than a week.

Ed

AR180812b-bald eagle.JPG
AR180812b-bald eagle.JPG (57.47 KiB) Viewed 770 times
AR180812c-black bear.JPG
AR180812c-black bear.JPG (112.17 KiB) Viewed 770 times
AR180812a-Ashokan Reservoir.JPG
AR180812a-Ashokan Reservoir.JPG (31.19 KiB) Viewed 770 times

JoeCz

Re: Bald eagles and black bears

Post by JoeCz »

Thanks for sharing Ed!

The rain’s been great for wildlife this year, just not as as great for getting out and enjoying it.

Joe

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Very Nice Ed

.....any Blueberries ?????
“Time to go fishing”

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Theroe wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:06 am
.....any Blueberries ?????
Dana, don't know and guessing not... it could have been eating grubs from decaying materials as I've seen bears do on the Ashokan property in the past. My wife and I were walking briskly along the causeway, when I look over the railing, down below and saw the bear--- mentioning this to my wife... others heard me tell her and soon we had a crowd watching... at one point the bear laid down and rolled around, like it was a circus bear, doing tricks...

Ed

AR1808121-black bear.JPG
AR1808121-black bear.JPG (98.92 KiB) Viewed 694 times
AR1808122-black bear.JPG
AR1808122-black bear.JPG (98.51 KiB) Viewed 694 times

GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Good Stuff - It seems that everytime I try to get a bear shot, I'm either too close and should be paying attention the situation or by the time I get my camera up it's gone.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

he’s probably saying “oh no there’s the humans “

:lol:
“Time to go fishing”

stokes

Post by stokes »

Great pics of that bear.I love seeing bears in the wild.About 2 weeks ago,I let my dogs out about 7a.m. and sat to have my coffee.Saw something black moving about 10 ft from my window,thought my dogs got out,looked and it was the biggest black bear I ever saw.By the time I grabbed my phone and got out the back door,the dogs had him on the run.Only pic I could get was a fuzzy pic of him going over a fence about 50 yds or so out back.Good thing my back yard is fenced or the dogs would still be chasing him.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

I'd like to make a couple general comments regarding black bears... over the last two decades, I have encountered several every year...

Typically in four out of every five encounters, the bear will freeze and then run from me... usually in the fifth case, we just watch each other and then mossey our own way...

We have bears in our neighborhood, and yard at times... I tell my wife NEVER EVER run from a bear... that could insite an instinct to chase you down...

In recent years, I'm aware of only two deaths caused by black bears in the greater New York area, Catskills... one occurred several years ago when a bear killed a baby left in a carriage... the other just a few/couple years ago in northern NJ when someone tried to outrun a bear... in both cases, the bears were killed by authorities..

Now, if one ever encounters a bear with a tag in its ear, like the one below--- green tag, both ears--- chances are that bear might be a nuisance bear that was relocated, due to prior "minor" issues with human beings... my point of this is, that bear probably is NOT afraid of humans and might be a tad unpredictable...

AR150714-black bear.JPG
AR150714-black bear.JPG (115.41 KiB) Viewed 571 times

The story of this photo is posted below, this bear was also an Ashokan Reservoir black bear when our paths crossed...

https://www.sparsegreymatter.com/viewto ... lack+bears

Ed

JoeCz

Post by JoeCz »

Ed,

Thanks for linking to that post from a few years back. Living in Monroe, I can say that we have almost weekly bear sightings in the town and even in the village. Responsible folks don't put their garbage out the night before and in the more rural areas have bear-resistant cages for their garbage cans.

I've only had one run-in when out bass fishing on a small pond with my son. We had split up and were fishing opposite sides when I heard him call softly to me across the water. "Dad, there's a bear."

When I looked up, I didn't see it at first, but it was about 20 yards to Ethan's left. I felt so helpless watching.

"What do I do?" Ethan asked.

Just back away from it slowly, I told him.

"But I have a snag."

"Just leave the fishing rod and back away," I told him.

We met at the end of the pond, the bear wandered back into the woods, and we all lived happily ever after. :-)

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi, Back in 94 or 95 my wife was on our deck in Shohola,Pa. She was on a chaislonge reading a paper when she felt some thing on her toes(bare feet) she put the paper a side and there was a bear smelling her toes. She got up and went and got the camera and then took 2 pictures of the bear with its head between the floor of the deck and a railing. I cannot tell you how many times we had bears in the back yard. Some of the time it was funny sightings but the one time they destroyed my peach tree and ate 52 ripe peaches. How do I know it was 52 because I picked up the pits and counted every one of the pits. Not only did they eat the peaches they also destroyed my peach tree. I’m sure Theroe has had them in his yard when he also lived in Shohola. Bill the mailman