Art Lee, Rest in Peace

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Bamboo&Brookies

Art Lee, Rest in Peace

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:23 am

As many of you folks know, Art Lee has passed at 76.

The NY Times published a heartfelt obituary:

https://nyti.ms/2MzSLiA

I did not know him, but learned volumes from his fly fishing books -- including 'Fishing Dry Flies for Trout on Rivers and Stream' -- and countless magazine articles. He was a wide-ranging fly fishing ambassador.
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

northcountryman

Re: Art Lee, Rest in Peace

Post by northcountryman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:40 am

Sorry to hear this although I have never heard of him. I’ll be sure to check out his books as it sounds like he was an excellent Flyfisherman and great ambassador to the sport . I’m sure he will be sorely missed ☹️.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Sad indeed... I met and talk to Art a few times over the years, but didn't really know him... he was quite the angler and a wealth of angling knowledge...

His late wife--- Kris--- was honored by the Catskill Fly Fishing Center & Museum in April as a Catskill Legend; Art accepted the award on her behalf... his book, Fishing Dry Flies for Trout is a nice read, IMO... and the Lore of Trout Fishing, basically a composite of articles he wrote for Fly Fishing magazine, holds a few nuggents as well...by far, my favorite chapter is #22, "The Usual With a Twist"... it embellishes on Fran Betters Usual, for which BWO and Sulfur Usual's have accounted for a fair share of hard to seduce trout, for me...

R.I.P.

Ed

Bullethead

Post by Bullethead » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Gee. How frickin far north did you have to go not have heard of Art. Another ol pal gone.

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:14 pm

A friend in Maine--one of the best and most aggressively successful fly fishermen I've ever met--read and internalized Lee's teachings like they were the Gospel. I don't think I've ever seen ANY book so thumbed and worn as his copy of Lee--this was up at Camp on the Kennebago:

Lee was a lot about technique and strategy, and I envy anyone who got to spend a day on the water with him.

bb

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:21 am

I’ll have to get that book for sure then

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:22 am

As long as we're sharing photos/comments of Art Lee's book, Fishing Dry Flies for Trout... below is my autographed copy...

Art Lee.jpg
Art Lee.jpg (59.84 KiB) Viewed 728 times
Art signed it for me at The Fly Fishing Show in Somerset, NJ back in 2003, when the show was still good, IMO... I had acquired the book in December of '83... the day he autographed my copy, I also purchased his Lore of Trout Fishing, which he autographed as well... he was quite the talker, a real salesman but very interesting and knowledgeable... when I wrote a piece on a dry fly called the Dutchman for the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild newsletter--- the Gazette--- Art spent an hour on the telephone with me, talking about that fly and all things trout fishing... his dry fly book includes the pattern for the Dutchman, and I think might be one of the few fly-fishing books that does...

Art was interesting to say the least...

R.I.P.

Ed

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman » Tue May 28, 2019 1:29 pm

Back on this forum after a long while gone, and finally trout season is in swing. I met Art once, at an event at the West Branch Angler. He was a bit feisty that day when we talked about Atlantic salmon, and very direct, honest and opinionated in a generous way. He gave advice and every word of it was good advice. I remember the day was cold and rainy and miserable and I complained out loud about it and I wanted to go fishing (it was raining sideways). He said, "A lot of people buy my books to learn how to fish better but if they just quit their bitching and went fishing they wouldn't need to buy them." I thought that was pretty true. I bought two copies he autographed of "Fishing the Riffling Hitch." His Fishing Dry Flies is right up there with the best of the fly fishing how to books I've ever read.

Ronbo

Post by Ronbo » Thu May 30, 2019 7:38 pm

Sad news, I had the pleasure to meet him and he signed my book.A great guy that will be missed.