So what’s hatching now?

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
northcountryman

So what’s hatching now?

Post by northcountryman »

So I haven’t gone out yet this year but wanna try to get out tomorrow before bad weather takes the rest of the week.So What’s hatching now anyway? What should I bring for flies? Probably gonna hit the ‘ Sink and/ or the Willow btw

Thanks so much 😊

David

zugbug

Re: So what’s hatching now?

Post by zugbug »

Both those rivers are blown out, as are all of the other rivers in the area. Could be several days before they are fishable.

George

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi, Fished the Ramapo in Jersey today and did very well with a size16 pheasant tail bead head. Fished above the Glen Gray bridge up where the river splits. Little Black Stoneflies were hatching. I started with a GRHear and nothing. Switched to theLBS and did very well. I fished for 11/2 hours and caught 6 Two of them were a good 12 inches and looked very healthy. Water was high but with weight and bead heads got the flies down in the zone where the fish were.. I only fished about 100 feet twice and caught the 6. Did not see any other flies on the water. Started fishing at 1:30 and finished a little after 3:00. I was the only one there and the fished were cooperating. This is my first time out this year and I really enjoyed myself. Again only LBS were hatching and a size 16 Pheasanttail did the trick Good fishing everyone, Bill the mailman

northcountryman

Great report thank you Sir 😊

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hello, Just read Catskill flies report for the day and it said that the Forsythias are not blooming yet. Just an old saying and I quote. “ When the Forsythias are in bloom the Hendrickson’s will be hatching”. I don’ know how true this quote is but the Hendrickson’s are starting to show in Jersey and the Forsythias are in bloom. Has anyone else heard this quote? Well that’s it for today. No fishing today because I’m off to the graveyards to put flowers on some graves. Happy fishing, Bill the mailman

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

Have heard this about forsythia and shad, and since shad and Hendricksons often overlap, it makes some sense to me.

northcountryman

Oh ok , good info, what does the forsythia plant look like ?

Vance

Post by Vance »

All yellow flowers and grow like crazy. A great looking bush inthe spring.

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

northcountryman wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:32 am
Oh ok , good info, what does the forsythia plant look like ?
sunrise-forsythia-800x800.jpg
sunrise-forsythia-800x800.jpg (153.42 KiB) Viewed 698 times

squish67

Post by squish67 »

Here on the Battenkill, it is Shadbush and Hendricksons. Hasn't been wrong in 44 years!