Esopus Report

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
GaryD

Esopus Report

Post by GaryD »

I was up, well above the portal, closer to BI last week hoping beyond hope, I could encounter the Brownie that broke me off twice last season might still be around at the same location. Didn't bump into him, but hooked this somewhat beat up Rainbow instead. Not a big fish, probably 13ish give or take, but it pulled hard with heart as Rainbows do. Water Temp was a chilly 51 degrees. It took a #14 Waterhen Bloa drifted right down the middle of the slot on a 2Wt Superfine rig. Never hooked a Rainbow before this far up. The way it's been going this spring so far, I was quite happy to dance with this guy for a bit.
Attachments
Esopus Creek.jpg
Esopus Creek.jpg (336.35 KiB) Viewed 427 times

Eperous

Re: Esopus Report

Post by Eperous »

Gary, a couple comments.... wild rainbows are found in most Esopus Creek tributaries to varying degrees and in the Esopus Creek up through Oliverea, where I've helped USGS biologists shock the Esopus the last couple years... how far upstream they ascend to spawn from year to year is a function of rain and stream flows... your rainbow looks thin, like it was spawned out, so my guess it was a female, maybe getting ready to drop back down to the Ashokan Reservoir... also, the fins are a bit worn, like it was digging a redd...

As for a 2 weight rod, in high water with strong rainbows, you probably have to play the fish to exhaustion, near death... it might be fun to do, but the fish might not survive afterwards... something to ponder over....

Ed

GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Thanks, Ed for the Rainbow information. I will ponder the 2 wt in higher water. I probably have killed a few fish figuring out how to play them on ultralight tackle, but get them in pretty fast now by trusting the rod and taking advantage of the extra tippet protection, getting the fish on the reel immediately and orienting the rod horizontally as opposed to overhead. I generally only use ultra light tackle on small water but wondered off the program last week. That fish came in fairly quickly, but I get your point and don't want to kill them. There's not enough.

Brookie

Post by Brookie »

It seems as though the spawning bows are in the streams a lot longer this spring. I suspect it is because of the cold weather we have been having. I have seen a lot of nice size bows taken (and released) :D around the 20" range this season so far. I myself have caught two 18"-16".
Attachments
AAQC5071.JPG
AAQC5071.JPG (220.54 KiB) Viewed 362 times