Summer heat and stream thermometers

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Summer heat and stream thermometers

Post by Eperous » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:42 pm

For almost as long as I can remember, I've carried a stream thermometer with me... but rarely do I ever use it in the winter or early/late season... when the water's too cold, the trout tell me--- they don't eat my flies.... :? :(

However, I do use this instrument during summer months... I'm checking to see if our trout waters are a tad too warm to fish, without causing issues to any trout caught... with recent Catskill heat indexes pushing/breaking the 100 degree mark, best to check water temps, IMO... :| I find freestone streams get above 70 degrees and stay there, lacking cool nights... however, headwater brook trout waters--- under thick forest canopies, and Catskill tailwaters, downstream of NYC water supply dams, still often offer very good fishing through the heat of the hottest summer day...

Something to think about... ;)

Ed

northcountryman

Re: Summer heat and stream thermometers

Post by northcountryman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:02 pm

As hot as it as right now, I’m focusing my efforts in warm water species, bass , pickerel, etc. , gonnaleave the trout alone till it cools down

andre

Post by andre » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:40 pm

Ed, you’re obviously right about the tail waters. Will be on upper east this afternoon guiding... 62 degrees. Beaverkill and Willo are out.
Andre

blackdirtfly

Post by blackdirtfly » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:46 pm

Was on the West Branch last weekend. Water was cold and caught my first wild Rainbow on a Sulpher dry.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:59 pm

I use mine the entire time I’m fishing. It helps locate spring seeps in the streambed and I note the locations for the next time around, as I find the bigger fish stay in the coldest sections.
This past weekend I passed up marginal temps and headed to higher ground. Morning temps in the low to mid 60’s will undoubtedly reach 70 by 4-5:00
CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"