Gut twister

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
catskilljohn

Gut twister

Post by catskilljohn »

I have been fooling around with this for a few days, and finished it tonight.

Works great, though I am looking for a little more multiplication on the crank gear, this one's 1-1 and takes a while to do long sections.

The gears came from an old HD motorcycle oil pump, a guy dropped off some parts at work and thought I could use some, man was he ever right!

CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

the wolf88

Re: Gut twister

Post by the wolf88 »

geeee man.. you can be millions if you get this right.. :lol:

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

CJ - looks really neat... ;) Maybe it's a three-handed version though, does it need a clamp to mount somewhere? So, if you intend to patent and market your "gut twister", you had better include some directions for guys like me... :oops:

Ed

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

cool...i want 32 yards of twisted gut.

do you have plenty of gut?

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Whatever you want man!

I have a bit of single strand stuff still, about 25 yards in the small size I like, for those under 1/0 hooks. I have a bunch of bigger stuff, 10lb test, but its too heavy when twisted.

I do have to ask you about some of those hooks you picked up last year, when I see you. CJ

drlogik

Post by drlogik »

Looks like an equally effective medieval torture device also. Put a motor on that sucker and you could crank out some really nice furled leaders to! ...maybe add a turn counter....
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

which hooks..i'll bring em up on the 2nd. and the gut if i can remember

dennis

Post by dennis »

:? CJ,
I think I know what your "Gut Twister" does but have no idea how it works. Please explain ok. :oops:

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Dennis,

Its for the twisted gut eyes on blind eye salmon hooks. I was buying the pre-twisted stuff from Partridge, but its something like $1.00 per inch. This way, it costs something like $1.00 for 3 yards. I bought those cards at Somerset last year, 30 yards for $5.00. You have to use 2 sections, so the 30 turns into 15, but well... you get the idea.

Anyway, take a 60" section, soak it in water for a while and tie a loop on each end. Loop the loops over the hooks [after clamping the tool to a shelf or something Ed :lol: ] and hang a weight in the "V" at the bottom. Start cranking the handle and as the 2 strands twist, they start twisting together, just like a furled leader. When it works its way to the top, you just let it sit there till it dries, and thats it.

I made 9 yards last night, in 15 minutes.

This thing is great, but I can see where I am going to exhaust my gut supply in a hurry :lol: Of course, tying the flies takes time, so I probably have enough for the next few years ;)

CJ

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

catskilljohn wrote: ... Anyway, take a 60" section, soak it in water for a while and tie a loop on each end. Loop the loops over the hooks [after clamping the tool to a shelf or something Ed :lol: ] and hang a weight in the "V" at the bottom. Start cranking the handle and as the 2 strands twist, they start twisting together, just like a furled leader. When it works its way to the top, you just let it sit there till it dries, and thats it. ...
So CJ, do you throw in a clamp when purchasing one of your new-fangled inventions, or is that a hidden cost us unexpecting consumers must suck up... :o :shock: :? 8-)

Unless of course we have three hands.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ed