New water/ old water

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
catskilljohn

New water/ old water

Post by catskilljohn »

Every year, I try to make it a point to try new water somewhere in the Catskills. I am always torn, because everyone has there places where its almost a guarantee your going to get into some trout, and they are hard to pass up, but the chance of finding another home run is always there too.

Do you find yourself going back to the same "favorite hole" or are you always trying new places?

When your "on the water time" is limited as is mine, I guess I am more of a creature of habit, and I find that my Subaru steers itself to the familiar spots :lol:. I wont stop trying new ones though, even if its just one a year. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

corlay

Re: New water/ old water

Post by corlay »

I'm more apt to search-out new fishing spots, when the action in my tried-and-true sections is slow;
of, if by some miracle, I've got a good 4-6hr. block to fish, and can afford to move around a little. (that never happens...)
Also, if I'm meeting a friend to fish, and he/she has suggested something familiar to them, and new to me;
that works too! ;)

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies »

I spend around two thirds of my time at 'old' water that I'm familiar with and a third exploring 'new' water.

Last year, what with the drought and heat, I spent some time poking around for cold water and found a couple stretches of streams -- and one upper section of a river -- that stayed cold all summer (although they were a bit low). I got some decent fish in those spots.

I also found a couple beaver ponds. One looked great, but for some reason I struck out there. I didn't get back to the other one.

There are several 'new-to-me' small streams I stumbled on while grouse hunting last year and I want to check them out for brookies later this spring. One of them I know will produce some nice fish.

When I don't have alot of time to screw around, I head to my well-known water where I know the access spots, the pools and where the fish (usually) lie, and what (usually) is coming off as far as bugs. Then I can get as much fishin' in as poss.

Other days when I have more time to explore I like to check out the new spots.

Rob
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Interesting question... I like it all... :D

There's something special about old familar places, comforting like an old flannel shirt or wool glove that keeps you warm on cold days.... :) and, there's something exciting about new water - brings back memories of my dating days, centuries ago - never know what one might encounter... :P What's really ironic about this, that you young - working type - guys probably don't appreciate is there's never enough time to do it all, even if one is fully retired... a few Saturday's ago at Guild's Fly Tyers Rendezvous in the Rockland House Hank Rope and I had this very conversation, and his words were... " even retired there's never enough time to do it all"... Amen to that, Brother... 8-)

When asked about fishing, I use to tell people that I don't fish nearly as much as I want, but a lot more than I should... :o :shock: :? :roll: :oops:

Keep the faith, and keep casting those fly lines, anywhere you can... ;)

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Eperous wrote: I use to tell people that I don't fish nearly as much as I want, but a lot more than I should...
I wish I could say that about the later and I sure agree with the former :lol: Someday....

I guess the best thing that happens is when you find a new spot, and it becomes your favorite. That way you get the best of both, at least for a while :lol: CJ

corlay

Post by corlay »

Old stream.

Old stream. New stream.

New stream. New stream. New stream. New stream.

Too big. Too small.

Too flat. Too tall.

Too loose. Too tight.

Too heavy. Too light.

Too red. Too dotty.

Too blue. Too spotty.

Too fancy. Too frilly.

Too shiny. Too silly.

Too beady. Too bumpy.

Too leafy. Too lumpy.

Too twisty. Too twirly.

Too wrinkly. Too curly.

Too holey. Too patchy.

Too feathery. Too scratchy.

Too crooked. Too straight.

Too pointed...

WAIT!

Just right! Just right?

Just right. Just right. Just right.

New stream.

Old stream. ;)

Fatman

Post by Fatman »

CJ

Think of it as tying up a different pattern. Sometimes you don't want to but you do, steer towards the unknown places some more :mrgreen: Someday I'll get to fish the Catskills for the first time!!

Beaverkill

Post by Beaverkill »

It is amazing how many people I see fishing the same exact water on the same rivers...The thing I love most about the Catskills is exploring...and there is soo much to find in those rivers and mountains...You just need to look.....
Dan Ansbach

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Cory,

I got a kick out of your post man! Its been a while now, but I remember those books like it was yesterday :D

I still read the "Lorax" to my kids, and even just by myself, its such a great example of whats going on today...everywhere. CJ