Hurricane Irene

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
mikevalla

Hurricane Irene

Post by mikevalla »

We'll have to watch this one. My concern is, of course, for all streams. But the Catskills can't use another flood. I've been thinking about our Esopus Ed and his beloved stream. Visions of turbidity and added erosion from the tribs.

-MV
Follow me on Twitter

the wolf88

Re: Hurricane Irene

Post by the wolf88 »

yep yep... just brace for it and pray to mothernature to push that high pressure in to prevent that coming in.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

mikevalla wrote:We'll have to watch this one. My concern is, of course, for all streams. But the Catskills can't use another flood. I've been thinking about our Esopus Ed and his beloved stream. Visions of turbidity and added erosion from the tribs.

-MV
Not too bad this evening - the Esopus that is, Mr. Valla, but we'll have to watch and wait on this one - little we can do... :cry: this forecast is/was one of the reasons I harassed those little silver bullets - small wild Esopus bows - this evening... :P and thanks for thinking of the eastern Catskills, the other side of Slide Mountain's shadow... :D

Let's hope Irene is gentle on all Catskill Rivers as it passes through this weekend... :roll:

Ed

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

By the way - for the most part, it's been a wet season in the Catskills this year -- with some dry spots in the eastern portion just a couple weeks ago -- all that said, it looks like NYC DEP is taking this storm threat very serious and dumping water from the Pepacton Reservoir in preparation of the weekend storm, hoping to prevent flooding - I'm guessing...

Per the USGS Real Time Stream Flow Data for NYS, water releases below the Pepcaton, into the East Branch of the Delaware River have been ramped up...

FYI: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv/?s ... 0065,00060

And, per NYC's DEP reservoir level website, the City's water supply reservoirs are currently at 92%, about 10% above normal for this time of year...

FYI: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/drinki ... wide.shtml

Let's hold on tight for this one... hopefully we'll just get a glancing blow and little else...

Ed

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

As of right now, Roscoe is not forecast to get much rain from the storm. That can easily change but as of right now I have no reason to be worried, I might even fish Sunday. I'm keeping an eye on the forecast, because with a hurricane things can change fast.

Joe

Mantis

Post by Mantis »

They love to hype these things. Just heard that NJ already activated its National Guard. Heard too that the storm surge will flood LaGuardia and Kennedy and Manhattan and the lower part of Brooklyn as the surge rushes up the Hudson. Even up here, Albany to Saratoga they just predicted up to 70 MPH winds and 6 or more inches of rain.
Bloomburg was just interviewed saying an evacuation plan is in play for NYC if needed. WHAT? Are you kidding me... That ought to be a rat race.
Yes, I heard it too that they were lowering the Pepacton and another Resv to take the expected additional rainfall.
As I said, they love to hype these things just as they do snow storms. We'll just have to wait and see. bob

Allan

Post by Allan »

Bob,

Yes, maybe this is being hyped but can you imagine if it wasn't and it did hit? This must be one of a politicians nightmare scenarios. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. As far as evacuating NYC if needed, when would "if needed" be determined? Aside from this action being a joke in and of itself, let's assume the population of NYC coukl be beamed (as in 'beam me up Scotty'), Where are the people going to be beamed to? Bloomburg may be a business genius but he's an idiot.

Allan

Fatman

Post by Fatman »

All depends on how it tracks, they're telling us to batten down here in Vermont. They're actually hoping it tracks more to the East as storms are forcast to come in from the West and if it hit's the right pattern, the storms from the west could possibly pull the track suction it further inland, and then we're gonna get not only the high winds but lots of rain.

Stay safe all!!!!!!!!

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Greetings from Rangeley, Maine....

Well...if it blows through here---no problem. There are plenty of places to have a beer--and watch CNN.

-I'm on a photo shoot "mission". Have an appointment, tomorrow morning (Saturday), at the Museum to shoot a large number of Stevens flies, tied by the lady herself. Can't wait. The vehicle is packed with photo gear---ready to go.

-Stopped in the Fly shop on the way in. Nice place. Business is slow, according to the shop owner. But man--you should see the pics of the monster brookies he netted this season. Very streamer oriented--of course.

-MV
Follow me on Twitter

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

mikevalla wrote:...Stopped in the Fly shop on the way in. Nice place. Business is slow, according to the shop owner. But man--you should see the pics of the monster brookies he netted this season.
Mike - need help -- to carry your bags?? :P Storm, or no storm, big brook trout - I'll be on my way... ;)

Ed