Re: Hurricane Irene

Post by mikevalla »

thanks, joe
Follow me on Twitter

Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Ed,

"Bob, we must be listening to different weather channels, different forecasters with some alseep at the switch... I don't put a lot of stock in NOAA, or even the Weather Channel sometimes for local conditions since these folks tend to paint the weather picture with a broad brush... that said, out local weather folks - WHUD - out of Peekskill just predicted 4" to 7" of local rain with 10" possible, and wind gusts to 70 miles an hour here - eastern Catskills and Mid-Hudson Valley and gusts of 90 mph down in NYC... I hope you're right, we all should know by Monday sometime..."

Not sure what you mean. Perhaps you mis-read my 18 to 21 HOURS of rain as Inches. lol.
Just rain and wind here. Power out most of yesterday, but then we always go out with any kind of a thunderstorm. Streams all flooded here and some small ones overflowing small culverts and were over the roads last night.
My son in Brooklyn, 4 blocks from the A-zone mandatory evac area said it wasn't bad at all in his Park Slope area.

Tiny Margaretville flooded. If you didn't see it on the news there are some videos on Utube.

I'm glad the mayors and govs of the cities and states involved ordered evacuating low lying areas that are often only 10 feet or so above sea level especially after the Katrina fiasco where the Gov and Mayor sat on their hands when a big hurricane was headed toward a below sea level city.

It is the idiot reporters who go stand in the water, can't stand on the beach, but have to get a couple feet into the water, and shout, "look, a shingle is beginning to flutter," that is the kind of over-hype stuff I object to and it is that 'look at me' mentality that bugs me. Things are bad enough for some people and areas without their attempts to panic people. How they love to stretch out their 'face time' on TV.
It reminds me of Heraldo in New Orleans trying to put words in a group of people's mouths, trying to get them to say they were ready to riot - and they wouldn't fall for his prompting- and made him look like a fool.
I'd prefer they all just report the facts without the dramatics.

The alarm sirens went off yesterday to evacuate Schoharie when Gilboa dam was in danger of failing. It seems the danger is lessened this morning. It is a dam that needs to be replaced,has been for the last year or two, but the state and Federal governments can't find the money to do it. Funny how can find the multi hundreds of millions for still more monuments and memorials to 911 and MLK. How many of these things do we need? Where are the pol's priorities? Guess they don't want to be called names if they vote against something, but what the heck, the dam is still there — this time.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

We have been without power since Saturday afternoon, and they are telling us 1-2 weeks to restore it. Reminds me of my younger days spending a week at a time in the woods, no electric, no refrig, no lights...its kind of fun but the family is a little "unsettled". Of course everything at work is operating perfectly, couldn't be the other way around!

Good luck to everyone who is without what they are accustomed to, it wont last forever. I have been finishing my Spey rod by candlelight, now I have an idea of what it was like making rods in the 1800's ;) CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Ed Pirie

Post by Ed Pirie »

Hi Everyone,

Reporting from Vermont: Southern Vermont really was hard hit by "Irene." So much damage - I have seen so many pictures that make you think it will be very hard to travel around Vermont for quite some time. Buildings, bridges, roads, all kinds of property - just gone. As far as I know, four lives in Vermont were lost. It is a miracle not more were lost. The fishing will be blown out for a while, but that seems like something I should not be thinking about right now. I just hope you folks over in the Catskills got through this better than we did. Where I live in northern central Vermont, we had damage and lots of rain, but no where near the damage that the southern part of the state suffered.

A bad weekend all the way around.
Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont

Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Margaretville East Branch of the Delaware (above the reservoir for those of you not familar).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzOQKv0P ... re=related

At the top of the state in the Adirondacks the East Branch of the Ausable, usually a very thin water stream this time of year, about wiped out Keene.
The Schoharie is raging, many roads blocked off and some stretches simply destroyed.
Here in Scotia the Mohawk river is going down just a bit. Several long bridges across it were blocked off. Lots of people evacuated. Lot of water headed to the Hudson. I wonder if the Amtrack tracks along the Hudson will be clear by Thursday when my son and family come north out of NYC.

Fatman

Post by Fatman »

Hey there Gang!!! Alive and well, but man we took a serious hit!!! I'm up higher so mainly just a bunch of tree branchs, but after the last flooding everything is worse than before. Hard to get anywhere with all the roads damaged. Some communities are totally cut off, so the Guard choppers might be flying food and water in.

I'll check in when I can, and thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts!!!!!!!

Fatman (Doug)

squish67

Post by squish67 »

The Battenkill crested at 14.22', about 6" below the crest of the 1977 flood which washed out the covered bridge in Eagleville, and about 3.5' below the mother of all floods, 1927. Still makes it the 5th worse flood here since records have been kept. The 313 corridor was flooded at the Dutchman's hole. Route 29 was flooded between Battenville and East Greenwich. The Mill Hollow dam in downtown Greenwich has a crack in it and the Rt 29 bridge at Middle Falls has been closed as a precaution. River is down close to 4' from yesterday.

The Mettowee crested over 15', a record flood by several feet. The Wallomsac and Hoosick are a mess, and White Creek flooded parts of Salem. All of the small streams blew their banks, washed roads out. The springs in my yard are literally boiling and my driveway is officially a tributary of the Battenkill now.

On a positive note, the Owlkill here in Cambridge is high, but clear, and I watched a Trico spinner fall on the run in front the old seed plant factory about an hour ago. No fish rising though.

Rich

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 »

no major problems here.. just the red motel flooded just the lower section of their building. other than that.. trees down and wires down. Manor had some flooding but not bad. Downsville is flooded,, no passage to walton.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

squish67 wrote:On a positive note, the Owlkill here in Cambridge is high, but clear, and I watched a Trico spinner fall on the run in front the old seed plant factory about an hour ago. No fish rising though.
Rich
My kind of guy, even with all this water, your still out huntin' :D

Take care everyone, and no wading in muddy water... CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

rich, how is the farm on whitecreek shunpike?????