Catskill Heritage Fly Fishers

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Re: Catskill Heritage Fly Fishers

Post by Eperous »

mikevalla wrote: Fly tying is a part of it, of course, but it's all about "the heritage"--and friendship among those who have a perceived anachronistic attitude (like yours truly) concerning fly fishing.
>If you're a Noll Child--you'll fit. Or a "would have loved to be a Noll Child", you'll love it. If your favorite vise can move only 2 directions--(up and down on a C-Clamp), you've got the DNA.
>If it was Heacox's classic 1969 two part Outdoor Life articles that got you all pumped up (that's the both of us, Ed...), you'll love it.
>If you remember and cherish, Fireside Angler, Reed Tackle..you have Heritage DNA. If you would have liked to order stuff from those places--perfect fit
>If you'd rather chat with your buddy about the "old days", while walking to your favorite stretch on a Catskill stream, than have a formal, scheduled meeting--it's for you.
>If you would like to have a beer, after a hard day on the river (and oh how I know you like that, Ed :lol: , at stream side--and chat about Ray Smith--perfect. A fireside, stream bank steak roast? Perfect.
>Love cane? Love Glass?--great.
Okay Mike, I'm 6 of 6 of the items above :D ;) , especially the beer part... :o :oops: :shock:

Thanks MV, sounds like I'm in... 8-)

Ed

fishamidge

Post by fishamidge »

Catskill Heritage Fly Fishers,sounds good love anything to do with Catskills.
Jimmy

Allan

Post by Allan »

Eperous wrote:
mikevalla wrote: Fly tying is a part of it, of course, but it's all about "the heritage"--and friendship among those who have a perceived anachronistic attitude (like yours truly) concerning fly fishing.
>If you're a Noll Child--you'll fit. Or a "would have loved to be a Noll Child", you'll love it. If your favorite vise can move only 2 directions--(up and down on a C-Clamp), you've got the DNA.
>If it was Heacox's classic 1969 two part Outdoor Life articles that got you all pumped up (that's the both of us, Ed...), you'll love it.
>If you remember and cherish, Fireside Angler, Reed Tackle..you have Heritage DNA. If you would have liked to order stuff from those places--perfect fit
>If you'd rather chat with your buddy about the "old days", while walking to your favorite stretch on a Catskill stream, than have a formal, scheduled meeting--it's for you.
>If you would like to have a beer, after a hard day on the river (and oh how I know you like that, Ed :lol: , at stream side--and chat about Ray Smith--perfect. A fireside, stream bank steak roast? Perfect.
Okay Mike, I'm 6 of 6 of the items above :D ;) , especially the beer part... :o :oops: :shock:

Ed
I resemble those remarks :D, and Gee, I'd think that in addition to those 6 'Heritage' prerequisites, there'd have to be some exposure to Herter's and its catalog or one of GL Herter's books :) No? :lol:

Allan

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Allan wrote:
Eperous wrote:

Ed
I resemble those remarks :D, and Gee, I'd think that in addition to those 6 'Heritage' prerequisites, there'd have to be some exposure to Herter's and its catalog or one of GL Herter's books :) No? :lol:

Allan

Not a problem on my end... just wish I had kept one of the fat Herter's catalogs... And, I remember when Herters sold Jungle Cock necks, maybe $5 each... too young, broke, and dumb to buy any... :oops: :cry:

Ed

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Yes..I had Herter's too! Who didn't back then.

The catalog was great for the bathroom--"Mike, what's going on in their so long!"--mom yelled. "I'm reading, I'm reading--don't you ever read!!!!"
Took it school, too. Big fat thing it was......ha!

I recall, in 1968, sending in a big order for materials. What I received, a couple of weeks later, was some other guy's order--all archery arrow-making supplies--quills and such. A month later, I did get my big box of mallard wings and breast feathers.
Follow me on Twitter

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

we got very little from herters because it was only a 30 minute to reeds...
BUT we had the catalouges...i still do

Allan

Post by Allan »

Point being that don't you think that within the framework of our generations' 'Heritage', the Herter's Company and what it meant to the fly fishing/tying community was worthy of being listed as an iconic feature. Yes :?: No :?:

Allan

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Herter's---fond memories of Herter's for sure. Sure....a part of the "Noll Kids' memories

What I liked was the bulk orders--like a massive amount of dyed deer body hair for a couple of dollars. Massive amounts of Mallard flank for a bargain price.
Follow me on Twitter

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Who needed Herter's when you had Harold Campbell. :lol:

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Who needed Herter's when you had Harold Campbell.
Yes, Eric..I'll say. Harold was a character for sure (that's why I stuck him in my book). He was the source for necks for lots of tiers, and establishments, for those of you who don't know of him. He shared my room, in 1972 at Dettes, when he came by for a "week vacation." Well, he carted me around fishing that week. I have lots of Harold Campbell stories (as I'm sure others have, too!) He was tooo much!
Follow me on Twitter