Country living

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Country living

Post by Eperous »

Since SGM has been slow of late, thus I thought this story might have some mild interest...

Recently my 2005 Subaru, with 110K miles on its engine, has been back-firing very sporadically - like sophisticated Delaware River sipping trout... Normally only when I start the car, and only on occasion - else it runs fine... So, when I brought my fishmobile in for an oil change, I asked a very good mechanic to look it over, explaining my issue.... he found nothing wrong, other than blowing out some cracked nuts, pieces of fur, and other junk from my air filter.... he blamed mice for that problem....

Well our youngest daughter, and newly married husband, were on their honeymoon the last 10 days leaving their vehicles in our yard... Yesterday, while driving back to MA after being away, our newest son-in-law stopped to add oil to his car.... he found one dead mouse under the hood and 4 others that disappeared quickly....

Who could have believed this? :roll: Mice, bedding down in the engines of automobiles... I guess it's all about country living... :P And since CJ is a Subaru owner also, I need to confer with him on this matter...

Ed

dennis

Re: Country living

Post by dennis »

Ed, I've never had mice but always had cats - kittens, squirrels found as snug as a bug in a rug under my hood when we lived on the farm. They like the warmth. It is that time of year ya know ;)

Gene

Post by Gene »

Ed, I'm not CJ but I too own 2 subarus, a 2005 and 2009 forester. I live in the country also here in Ct. and have mouse issues in the car every fall and winter. By the way Subaru recommende you change the timing belt at 105,000, just thought I would mention. Good Luck
Gene

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

I have heard of this happening. Some of the stories did not have such a happy ending.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Gene wrote:Ed, I'm not CJ but I too own 2 subarus, a 2005 and 2009 forester. I live in the country also here in Ct. and have mouse issues in the car every fall and winter. By the way Subaru recommende you change the timing belt at 105,000, just thought I would mention. Good Luck
Gene
Thanks... I'll make mention of this to my mechanic...

Ed

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Ed,

Having lived in the "country" up until this June. I can tell you, mice in my Jeep engine area was an ongoing problem. I can't even remember how many times they found my air filter. Sometimes with their cache of acorns in their bedding. I almost expected it on each oil change. The little b'stards even got into my glove box, then into my canvas fold-bag where they chewed up my insurance and registration cards.

>However, I now live in the village. I popped my hood last week and found a nest up front near the firewall. The mouse embedded it it was quite stiff. My brother in law had bigger issues:the mice went up the exhaust pipe.

This is the time of year they look to get in something--but it happened all year at the country place.
Follow me on Twitter

corlay

Post by corlay »

mikevalla wrote:However, I now live in the village.
no more syrup production? :(

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

If I had a dollar for every rodent damaged car that came into the shop...well, lets just say that in the fall that is a big problem. Mostly chewed wiring harnesses from squirrels in the town I work in [lots of Oaks and cut grass] but I have pulled mice [or their nests] out of places in cars you wouldn't believe. Blower motor cages, timing covers, air filter housings, glove boxes, they can really build a home fast too. The thing that causes the damage is, they use the car and its components to build the nest...wires, connectors, interior materials [foam, uphostery] then fill it with dog food, cat food if you feed birds, bird food...

Ed, Gene is right on with the t.belt, and have them do the water pump at the same time. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

ewpeper

Re: Country living -- A different zone.

Post by ewpeper »

Your mouse problems are our squirrel problems here in the Rockies. The little critters hide their pine nuts everywhere: holes in the ground, empty boxes, shoes, boots, engines, inside the truck, etc. I cleaned about 15 pounds of pine nuts out of the shed when we got here this spring, and there's at least that much still in there

But we have a larger critter problem too. My neighbor and his son scored on their archery elk a day or so ago. Son hung his elk in the garage, but dad was not quite so clever and hung his from a tree. Night before last between 3 and 5 AM, a grizzly took possession of the meat (after leaving a gigantic "message of greeting" in the middle of our road). I am reluctant to check on the hunter's progress today. Suffice to say we are not taking evening walks in the neighborhood, as the "meat theft" occurred within a couple hundred yards of my door. The bear walked between my cabin and another neighbor to reach his goal, and I found a track next to my shed that would comfortably encompass one of my size 13s.

That's our "country living."

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Eric,

I am perfectly happy with "our" problem. I think if I opened up a hood and a bear jumped out, I would take up another profession :lol: CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"