Zip locks

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
ted patlen

Re: Zip locks

Post by ted patlen »

Mantis wrote:When you get to a certain age you should always fish with a buddy. Of course accidents can happen at any age: Datus fell and hit his head and drowned. Teddy fell and hit his head, and now he is like he is.

Allan, if you don't carry anything how will they ID your body?

Something I have always been 'going to do' but never actually get around to doing it is to put my name and phone number on everything
via a sharpie. I suppose if you lost a net, or fly box, or left a wading staff somewhere it is less than an even proposition you'd get it back anyway. Should you lose something you again someone with a conscious find the lost item.

you do write your name on everything because you forget who you are most of the time...see oyu in danbury?
yo

redietz

Post by redietz »

Mantis wrote:When you get to a certain age you should always fish with a buddy.
Of course. And if that guy's carrying a cell phone, the ERT might get there in time.
Bob

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

Ed,

Great post, as always. If you get bored and decide you want to toughen extend thge life of your "miniature waterproof bag", cover it with duct tape. It also reinforces the "zipper", adding to the life of the bag (which means more $$$ to spend on bamboo...) Lessons learned from 30 years of being wet...

Best,

Tim

Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Isn't it amazing how many years we did without all this electronic stuff. Probably fished for 50 years before cell phones became a toy everyone just had to have. I can't think of once that I would have needed one had I even had the foresight to know they would someday exist.
A few years ago a third friend rode with me and Retro out to Wisc to catch the Hex hatch on the White or the Bruhle. We met a small local group at a camp, then drove miles to a dead end dirt road. One guy drove his RV that we would all meet at it after fishing. We walked down the road until guys started peeling off to walk several hundred yards thru second growth and swamps to get to the river, find a spot that looked good, scope out the water, figure how we would cast, and find a good place to sit and wait for darkness.

The flies didn't appear that June night and it began to rain and didn't look like it would let up. Half way thru the night we headed back to the big RV to meet, and/or wait for the others, have a bite to eat and some liquid refreshment. Five other guys were already there. Only one didn't show, the guy who came with us.
After another hour one guy drove his car down the lane to where it ended at a deserted old barn and what was left of a house, flashing his spot light into the woods and tooting his horn as he went, then came back and went down again.
The missing guy spent the night in the rain, in the woods, while we all partied at the RV. At least he had the smarts (after an hour of walking in circles) to sit in one spot and wait for daylight.
Now you might say, see, if he had a cell phone he could have saved himself a cold, wet night in the woods.
Well, he did have a cell phone. But what good is a cell phone if there is no service?

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Mantis wrote:Isn't it amazing how many years we did without all this electronic stuff. Probably fished for 50 years before cell phones became a toy everyone just had to have. I can't think of once that I would have needed one had I even had the foresight to know they would someday exist.
A few years ago a third friend rode with me and Retro out to Wisc to catch the Hex hatch on the White or the Bruhle. We met a small local group at a camp, then drove miles to a dead end dirt road. One guy drove his RV that we would all meet at it after fishing. We walked down the road until guys started peeling off to walk several hundred yards thru second growth and swamps to get to the river, find a spot that looked good, scope out the water, figure how we would cast, and find a good place to sit and wait for darkness.

The flies didn't appear that June night and it began to rain and didn't look like it would let up. Half way thru the night we headed back to the big RV to meet, and/or wait for the others, have a bite to eat and some liquid refreshment. Five other guys were already there. Only one didn't show, the guy who came with us.
After another hour one guy drove his car down the lane to where it ended at a deserted old barn and what was left of a house, flashing his spot light into the woods and tooting his horn as he went, then came back and went down again.
The missing guy spent the night in the rain, in the woods, while we all partied at the RV. At least he had the smarts (after an hour of walking in circles) to sit in one spot and wait for daylight.
Now you might say, see, if he had a cell phone he could have saved himself a cold, wet night in the woods.
Well, he did have a cell phone. But what good is a cell phone if there is no service?
That's one of the reasons, but far from the only one, that I never carry a cell phone with me with while fishing... 95%+ of the places I wander, cell phones don't work... but our kids insisted that I have one while out in nature, so I leave it in the car to make everyone happy...

Ed

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Something I have always been 'going to do' but never actually get around to doing it is to put my name and phone number on everything
via a sharpie. I suppose if you lost a net, or fly box, or left a wading staff somewhere it is less than an even proposition you'd get it back anyway. Should you lose something you again someone with a conscious find the lost item.
Bob, I did that. The only thing is when my treasured fly box floated away downstream this past season, it sailed away with an address I lived at 22 years ago.

-MV
Follow me on Twitter

dennis

Post by dennis »

Great stuff as usual
No camera. Lock wallet in glove box. Carry cell but leave it off. Put car keys in vest pocket with zipper. I do carry a freezer bag full of snacks. Saltine crackers, Vienna sausages, sardines, Underwood's Deviled Ham, extra sharp cheddar along with a couple bottle's of beer planted under a rock to enjoy at the end of the day. UMMMMMMMMMMMMM

chase creek

Post by chase creek »

I use zip-locs for all of the above.

Cell phones bring to mind a story. I was fishing alone for a week in Northern Michigan, annoying lots of Brookies. As I was walking back down a two-track to my truck, I heard my cell phone ringing in my jacket. I take it for travel, but always leave it in the truck cuz the coverage there is so bad, but must have forgotten to take it out of my jacket that morning. I answered it, it was my wife back in Toledo wanting to know how it was going. As I was walking along chatting to her, a black bear darted across the road about 15 feet in front of me, going like a bat out of Joplin. I yelled "BEAR!", and the call dropped.
I had to drive about 10 miles before I could get decent coverage to call my wife back and tell her she could stop looking for the insurance papers.

Anyway, they make giant zip-locs now that even waders will fit it. Next to a dog, zip-locs are a man's best friend.
Never sit when you can stand,
Never ride when you can walk,
Never lean.

John Lea

Post by John Lea »

I can remember my father's excitement when they started selling bread in plastic bags. He loved the fact that they helped keep things dry. Bread bags were right up there with the white medical tape he used to repair scrapes on his canoe canvas.

I used to have a small business that packaged things various sized zip bags as a step to the final packaging. These zip locks are available in many sizes and I use them for wallet, cell phone and keys as well as the smaller 2x2 ones to hold individually tied dropper flies (any knot I can tie at home is a time saver.)

I only use a bag once for the keys due to their sharp points. I understand that if these beeper key rings get wet they can go bad and replacing them can be costly.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

we forgot to talk about the most important item to carry in a plastic bag...TOILET PAPER!!!!!

YO