My new vise of choice

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
mikevalla

My new vise of choice

Post by mikevalla »

So, I asked Regal Vise to please remove my name from their "Pro-List" (I never asked to be on it, in the first place, way back). They have all kinds of rules that if you're on the "list" you can only tie on Regal at shows. If you tie for any publication that shows step-by-steps it has to be on a Regal. And they expect you to promote their vises at shows. If you're at an Authors booth, they ask that their brand stickers be placed out in view...and on and on.

-I've used Regal since the very first one came out---gee--had to be some 40 years ago. It's the brand shown in all of my books. But, I have no interest in promoting products or being a sales person.

-I'll no doubt still tie at home on a Regal from time to time. But I don't want to restrict myself.

My new vise of choice is under construction :P I shipped my antique watchmaker's vise to our own CJ, along with a brass plate he located for me on ebay. He's going to fabricate a brass base and attach the vise. Can't wait to tie with it a shows!

CJ is not only a talented fly tier---he's great with machine work, and all kinds of other talents. Thank you CJ! :) :) ;)

He (or I) will post the finished product, when he gets it done
IMG_2476.jpg
IMG_2476.jpg (41.68 KiB) Viewed 845 times
The antique watchmaker's (Jeweler's) vise----thinking of going Retro. The official vise of the CHFT's :D
IMG_2489.jpg
IMG_2489.jpg (109.3 KiB) Viewed 830 times
Follow me on Twitter

ted patlen

Re: My new vise of choice

Post by ted patlen »

maybe CJ can engrave the base with the Catskill Heritage logo? sign me up for one.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

ted patlen wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:07 am
maybe CJ can engrave the base with the Catskill Heritage logo? sign me up for one.
Me 2! :D

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Me three !!!!!

Funny thing about devices – I have had a regal, and a few others, including a early LAW vice which I really like. But my absolute favorite that I use most of the time is my old Thompson mounted to an old piece of 1 inch steel plate :geek:

That’s a very nice project Mike, that CJ is putting together for you – best of luck with it and I can’t wait to see the finished product!!!!

Dana
Attachments
Old standby
Old standby
2BD7CE0F-6513-4D3B-BCA1-0AED4B4DFE3A.jpeg (136.28 KiB) Viewed 794 times
“Time to go fishing”

gt05254

Post by gt05254 »

Same reasons I "resigned" from Lagartun and Partridge pro teams, Mike. At my age, I sure don't need all those rules and "must do this and must do that" stuff. And the funny thing is, they need us WAY more than we need them. Oh well, probably a good deal for young folks trying to make a name for themselves.
Gary

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

gt05254 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:03 am
Same reasons I "resigned" from Lagartun and Partridge pro teams, Mike. At my age, I sure don't need all those rules and "must do this and must do that" stuff. And the funny thing is, they need us WAY more than we need them. Oh well, probably a good deal for young folks trying to make a name for themselves.
Gary
Gary....that's exactly what I had communicated to Regal, in a nice way, when I asked them to remove my name from the "Pro List". It's more to their benefit than mine really...and same with the others, too.
Follow me on Twitter

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Rube Cross's vise----

Same type watchmaker's vise shown at the beginning of this thread. Great choice for "the official fly tying vise of the Catskill Heritage Fly Tiers."

:)

IMG_2492.jpg
IMG_2492.jpg (48.43 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Follow me on Twitter

Matt Grobert

Post by Matt Grobert »

Rube held his vise in a vise... :D

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

That would be nice, Mike. But be sure to have a mini bench vice mounted to your table, holding the watchmakers vice “properly”.... :geek:

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Theroe wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:52 pm
That would be nice, Mike. But be sure to have a mini bench vice mounted to your table, holding the watchmakers vice “properly”.... :geek:

Dana

That's where CJ comes in... :) He's fabricating a brass base to hold the vise. I rarely tie at shows/events, but when I do, I don't use a C-clamp.

-Two have asked me where to get those Jeweler's vises. I had a half-dozen years ago---acquired from various sources. Gave them away to other equally anachronistic fly tiers :lol: You can find the antique versions from time to time on Ebay. While I prefer the old antique vises, you can purchase a modern vise at Cas-Ker watchmaker's supply house, in Ohio. They're called "hand vises."

-We all got by for years with a simple Thompson Model A vise. That was the vise of choice during the 60's and into the 70's. My first "good" vise was a Herter's Model A knockoff----then later, while still in high school, I had enough $$ to get an Thompson vise. They are good vises.

Somewhere along the line, the expensive (too expensive!) "Robot" looking vises came on the market. Regal jumped right in, as of late.
Follow me on Twitter