Annual Holiday book giveaway---trivia contest

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
wiFlyFisher

Re: Annual Holiday book giveaway---trivia contest

Post by wiFlyFisher » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:45 am

Oh crap, I missed this!!

I guess MV will ship the two books to the above winners on May 12, 2020. If you do ship on that date do I win too????? :lol:

Happy Holidays to all!

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:50 am

I must respectfully admit... I did NOT have the correct answer in mind for John Pope... my guess would have been John Alden Knight.... :roll: :oops: :cry: and waiting on more research would most likely would not have yield me much...

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:26 am

Eperous wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:50 am
I must respectfully admit... I did NOT have the correct answer in mind for John Pope... my guess would have been John Alden Knight....

LOL--that was indeed a tough one. This was my source for Burroughs, whom Roosevelt called "Uncle John", from the American Museum of Natural History: https://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/perman ... -burroughs

But it says nothing about three wet flies, so it was really a wild-assed guess. I need to buy some McClane for the library I suppose?

Congratulations to JoeCz on getting this one right!--/.

Curiously, Mike shows the page from Gingrich that has my favorite fly-fishing quotation: "It was mid-August of '55, and I was between wives." Must have been one hell of a summer for him, Big Bend Club or no--or was that the summer of the Big Bender?--

bb

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:10 pm

Thank you, to those who participated (and also to those who tolerated the post :) )

I usually do a couple of these book giveaways every year--here and elsewhere. Once a book is released, the publishers send me about 10 "author copies." I use these as giveaways.

-One year, I was checking my shelves for a copy of one of my books that I promised to send to a guy in New Mexico. Only then did I realize that not only had I given away my last "author copy," but that I must have also given away to someone my own personal copy. :lol: I promised the fellow I'd mail it to him asap, so I had to purchase a copy of my own book over at Dette's fly shop----at full cover price.

Right now, I own exactly one copy of each of my 6 books. And by the time the next two arrive I'll end up with only one copy each of those, once I give the rest away to friends etc...and the winners here! ;) ;)

Happy Holidays to all, and to all----a good night :) :)
Follow me on Twitter

Bud

Post by Bud » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:47 pm

Mike--

Consider yourself fortunate. When A Week on the Concord and Merrimack failed to sell, Thoreau ended up with the unsold copies, He wrote in a journal entry, "I have now a library of nearly 900 volumes over 700 of which I wrote myself."

His next book was Walden.

--Bud
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-- Marx (Groucho)

JoeCz

Post by JoeCz » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:40 am

Wow! I won something on the interwebs. This is a first for me.

I found two "Uncle John" references, with "the other one" connected to the Neversink being VanBenschoten. Maybe there are more, as Uncle John was no doubt a common sobriquet. I even have one of them (but not a fisherman) in my family.

The question I had the hardest time finding an answer to was #3, about what summer Gingrich joined the Big Bend Club. I found a reference in Francis, Catskill Rivers, that said he was a member for two years, but not which years. Based on Bearbutt's answer of 1955 and Hewitt's death in 1957, I went with 1954... That seems wrong, with 1955 the correct answer. Thanks to Mike for his generosity in naming several "winners," and for posting the relevant passage. I've got to track down a copy of that book now. My local library has a copy of The Legendary Neversink, so I've read that one a few times.

If the theme hadn't been the Neversink, I don't think I would've had a chance and probably wouldn't have bothered with the contest. But it is the major Catskill river closest to where I live and so the one I fish the most, despite it being (IMO) more hit-and-miss than the Willowemoc and Beaverkill. Between Rt 17 (a bit north of that in major heatwaves or when releases are trickles) and the reservoir, it has the benefit of having fishable temperatures almost every day over the summer, when the freestones are often too warm for optimal C&R survival. Until this past summer, I never had any issues finding places along it away from other anglers, but this year it seemed busier than in previous years. And there are occasional swimmers, rafters and kayakers to contend with as well, because they seem to think a PFR gives them license to put in/out there. Sigh.

I'd love to fish above the reservoir sometime, but I only know of one public access aside from the NYCDEP lands. Pretty much everything else up there seems to be posted.

Thanks again, Mike Valla. Now I've got two more reasons to look forward to spring.