Seeking help with fishing camp mouse problem.

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
troutfisher

Seeking help with fishing camp mouse problem.

Post by troutfisher »

Here's a question for someone with extensive amateur or professional pest control experience.

My fishing camp is a travel trailer which I keep year-around at a campground in the Catskills. I have n unusual mouse problem that I can't figure out and hope to get some information from this post. The mice are in the ceiling and back wall. I laid underneath and calked every possible entry place i could see. I even sprayed the bottom with rodent repellant to no avail.

I gained access to the inside of the ceiling by cutting a hole in one of the closets, plus removal of the light fixture. I've trapped some this fall using the smaller plastic traps baited with cheese but my concern is what happens during the winter when everything is closed up and I can't travel up to empty mouse traps. Using poison bait is the obvious answer but that isn't working as I'll explain.

The unusual and mystifying thing about this whole project is that the mice appear to be very intelligent and I can't figure out how to get the best of them. When I put Decon or Tomcat bait stations in the ceiling, they won't eat the poison bait (even with peanut butter on it!) and they plug the entrance holes with chewed-up insulation! A 4-sided glue trap baited with a lump of peanut butter was likewise filled with insulation! Three times they completely buried the bait stations with chewed-up insulation!

I'm at a loss for a reason or solution and guesses are of no help. Does anyone have the knowledge to help me solve this perplexing problem?

corlay

Re: Seeking help with fishing camp mouse problem.

Post by corlay »

I can offer some help, I guess.

I store my 1980's Coleman pop-up camper in my back yard.
For years, I battled mouse/vole intrusion - relying mainly upon mothballs.

Then, a friend suggested Peppermint Oil.
You get several tuna fish cans, (or even plastic yogurt containers), and some cotton balls.
Soak a ball well with peppermint oil and place around the inside of the camper before closing it up for the season.
For some reason, the peppermint works very well!

and when you open your camper back up in the Spring,
it smells like you just brushed your teeth. lol
(sure beats the smell of grandmas sweater drawer / moth balls)

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

Thanks for the suggestion Corlay. Tomcat mouse spray is a mint oil and the mice aren't supposed to like the scent or getting it on their feet. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. Last year I even put those little scented bags that are supposed to repel mice around the inside of the trailer and a mouse actually chewed into one of them! How does a mouse know to plug entry holes in poison bait stations and fill glue board traps with chewed-up insulation? Believe me when I tell you these are SUPER mice and that's why I'm seeking help. It's driving me crazy.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Had a similar problem in my house in northeast Pennsylvania: buy 24 mouse traps and put peanut butter on all of them, then set them all at one time, literally covering the floor with them. One by one it will kill them off....... a time delay of sorts.

FWIW - Field mouse fur makes excellent dubbing!!!!

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

Thanks for the suggestion, Theroe, but that's not practical. Firstly, the mice are in the ceiling and rear wall. Access is limited to two 4 1/2" square holes I cut into the ceiling and and only one has enough height for those small, plastic traps. Then, too, I can't be running up to the campsite every week during the winter to empty mouse traps. My mice won't go near peanut buttered poison bait and plug the bait station entrance holes with chewed-up insulation. They also filled a 4-sided glue trap baited with peanut butter with insulation! I wish someone could tell me how to get them to eat the poison bait so I can finally solve this damned annoying problem.

stokes

Post by stokes »

I've got an old bungalow in Dutchess County.Modern moth balls dont work.They dont use camphor anymore.The first year I had it the old timers told me to use moth balls.The mice ate it and the problem was worse.I now use Bounce dryer sheets.Need to use a lot of them.Put them all over,especially along the walls on the floor.Only downside is they need to be replaced.We shut down mid October and I go back up in January to replace them.

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

Thanks Stokes, I know about the dryer sheets and that they lose their scent. That's the problem. Once the campground is closed, and snowed-in, I can't go back into the trailer to replace them.

stokes

Post by stokes »

Well if you get the sheets in during the fall when the mice are looking for a place to winter they will go elsewhere and you will get less mice moving around in dead of winter.