Seeking help with fishing camp mouse problem.

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
wsbailey

Re: Seeking help with fishing camp mouse problem.

Post by wsbailey »

The Mousetrap Monday channel has a whole playlist of products that failed. This latest trial of a product seemed to be more successful than the other repellants. He mentioned that traps are a necessary adjunct to the repellant.

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

My problem is complicated by the fact it is in the ceiling and back wall of my trailer. My access to the interior of the ceiling is through two 4 -1/2" square holes which is rather limited. Spraying or placing scented bags into the ceiling through the holes only repels the mice in those two small areas and they have free range of everywhere else. Not to mention the fact that the scents ate not permanent and have to be periodically re-applied/replaced.
The ceiling interior is not high enough for the standard Victor mouse trap and they have plugged the entrances of glue traps and plastic bait stations with chewed-up insulation. The only trap that has worked for me is the small plastic one that looks like a pair of jaws baited with swiss cheese. But that takes too long and I'd like to solve the problem once and for all.

HookI

Post by HookI »

the only way you are going to REDUCE the invasion is to attack all perimeters hard , exterior entry points rodent block expanding foam . Fix all doors & windows tight with new locking hinges & gaskets , remove all & any food crumbs, vacuum up , get rid of blankets ,pillows ,bed sheets then you can set poison traps in the interior hope mice don't die in the walls , otherwise you will have to remove all panels & access the dead enemy . be glad you don't have Raccoons " if they had thumbs ..they would rule the world" good luck the other chuck
If it has fins I want to catch it .

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

I've laid underneath the trailer several times shining a light and probing, but can't find the entry point. I've calked and used expanding foam everywhere. I've sprayed the underbody with rodent repellent. The windows and doors all fit tight and I suspect the mice wouldn't be able to grip and climb the smooth, vertical aluminum sides, anyway. My sleeping bags are in sealed plastic garbage bags stored in the closet. There isn't a crumb of food in it now and when I'm there it's all stored properly and they aren't getting into it. In fact, I've only had two in the interior living space. The one in the rear wall chewed a hole where the tail light wires enter and made a nest in the night table drawer. Another came in where the slide-out seats and was caught over last winter in the Victor trap I set there. It's the ones in the ceiling and rear wall that are the problem since I only have two 4-1/2" holes to get access to them. I'm not too worried about the smell at this point since the interior of the ceiling and walls is pretty much a sealed environment and I suspect that any eating the poison bait will eventually mummify. My problem is getting them to eat the poisoned bait since they plug the bait station entry holes with chewed insulation. When I closed the trailer for the winter I put the bags of poison bait in a small dish hoping to solve that plugging problem. But that's no guarantee they are going to eat it which I'll find out come April.

drlogik

Post by drlogik »

Mice can be difficult to get rid of for sure. A Pack Rat is even worse. I had to deal with one of those when I lived out in Arizona. If you have PhD Mice and have tried all of the above suggestions then it's time to call in the pros. However, their methods will be similar to the above suggestions except the strategy. They go right after them with overwhelming force.

I tried all of the above suggestions for Mr. Pack Rat and none worked for me either. When the highly acclaimed Pro came to my house he didn't mess around. He cut through the ceiling and laid a TON, and I do mean a TON of "Rat Paper" inside the ceiling and any possible entry or exit route he could find for Mr. Pack Rat. After the second day he had Mr. Pack Rat in a bind with the sticky paper.

I kind of felt bad for Mr. Pack Rat but he had to go.

I don't know where one would get the commercial sticky paper but dang, that stuff sure did the trick. He laid it out so there was no way Mr. Pack Rat could walk, run, jump, hop or skip around it. The sheets were bigger than a piece of notebook paper. A few were 11x14 inches. All I remember is the paper was white with a thin film of sticky sprayed on it. It may have come in rolls, I can't recall.

He said the Lowe's or Home Depot type sticky traps don't work because they are too small. He said you have to cover every inch of where they use for travel. He said sooner or later they have to eat or drink and when they get desperate they make a mistake...
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

...customer.....
Attachments
0A4A4ABC-10D8-46EC-B429-642E93A393D7.jpeg
0A4A4ABC-10D8-46EC-B429-642E93A393D7.jpeg (174.3 KiB) Viewed 148 times
“Time to go fishing”