Wader recommendations?

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
ibookje

Re: Wader recommendations?

Post by ibookje »

Do you have to wade deeper than hip deep? If not consider getting breathable hippers.
I do most of my fishing in small-ish mountain streams where water is rarely deeper than my waist. If I need to cross I'll look for a shallower spot. So much more comfortable than chest (or rolled down) waders, much cooler during hot days and peeing is a blast :D

I'm I think on my 10th? year with my Vision (a Norwegian fly fishing brand) breathable hippers. Last year I had a tiny pinhole which I repaired with a drop of flex glue.

I rarely use my chest waders anymore. But the one I got are Patagonia and they are great. It's one of those tan coloured ones. Bought them at end of season close out which I think is a great way to save money.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

All of the aforementioned comments are very insightful....
I’m just wondering why the good old “Red Ball Brand” isn’t around anymore - those were the heavy black rubberized ones that we would buy up at Sugarmans Eynon for $20,
And lasted 10 to 15 years without a problem...

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Theroe wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:15 am

I’m just wondering why the good old “Red Ball Brand” isn’t around anymore -
And lasted 10 to 15 years without a problem...
The problem is that they lasted too long without a problem--how can you make money on something like that? So they got better at....planned obsolescence.

bb

Algyros

Post by Algyros »

Dana,

There are lots of different kinds of Red Ball waders on Ebay. Which model are you referring to?

Alex

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Algyros wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:21 am
Dana,

There are lots of different kinds of Red Ball waders on Ebay. Which model are you referring to?

Alex
Heavy black rubber ones that used to sell for $19.95......we would fasten hardened steel crampons (The ones with leather straps) to the rubber soled boots, prior to Korkers.. we used them for work, duck hunting, fishing, and just about any use where you wanted to stay dry..
“Time to go fishing”

HookI

Post by HookI »

JoeCz wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:53 pm
I'm in the market for a new pair of breathable stockingfoot waders.

My current gear is the Orvis Clearwater ($200). They lasted two years, but now have small leaks in both legs. I'll try to patch them over the winter.

In general, will the pricier models last proportionately longer? I guess I'm OK with $100/year, but I'd be pissed if I dropped $400 on an expensive pair and holed them the first time out. And yes, bumping into some wild roses and blackberries is inevitable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Joe if you know where the leak is , apply a drop over the hole / small leak with a Solarez style UV cure flex formula = soft green tube. Hit it with the light , how long it will last ? I'll let you know
If it has fins I want to catch it .

Caneghost

Post by Caneghost »

Please allow me to reconsider my Redington recommendation. The new zipper waders that I received in June and started wearing in July started leaking this week in the rear seams calf high. Seepage, but leaking. THey want me to ship them back and send $45 repair fee that will be refunded they say of defective. Waders look like new, with no physical damage to the leg seams or any other part. Obviously their quality is not what it was in 2014 when they introduced that wader.

I retract my recommendation gentlemen. Two bad pairs in the same season does not a good wader make. A shame as that first pair was the best pair of waders I ever owned. That's the trouble with our throw away society that is more about advertising "new" and "better" than making a quality product and sticking with it over time.

Is it any wonder I fish old bamboo fly rods and old Hardy reels?
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

I know in a previous post I mentioned the old-school waders, which was more out of nostalgia than anything else.

Simms is my go to brand now. The pair I have now is five years old, and I have not had any leaks. I am due for a new set, and I will most definitely be getting a pair with the zipper for the aforementioned reasons!
Although others have had poor success with the warranty department, I’ve had no issue with them at all. My Simms rain jacket started to leak and they replaced it for free without any questions asked.

Dana
“Time to go fishing”