Antrim Lodge

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Antrim Lodge

Post by Eperous »

I was in Roscoe earlier this week when I made my yearly visit to fish the Beaverkill... for old times' sake, I drove past the Antrim Lodge, where back in the late 60s, early 70s we use to get a room for $4 plus change/night--- sharing a common bathroom at the end of the hall... it's still boarded up, as it's been for years, and given Covid I wasn't surprised at all... last I heard the new owners had issues updating/retrofitting the old building to meet present day fire codes...

Any news of what's the current status/plans for the Antrim?

If it doesn't open soon, there won't be any of us still around who once stayed there to see the new opening.... :cry:

Thanks...

Ed

Caneghost

Re: Antrim Lodge

Post by Caneghost »

I first came to Roscoe in 1993 and learned that the fabled Antrim Lodge was closed. Since then I have heard of various efforts to revitalize and reopen, none of which ever seemed to happen. Floods, etc. I heard seem to have doomed every effort, and that is truly sad.

Fly fishing history first drew me here, as it drew me to Pennsylvania's Cumberland Valley, and the Antrim's story was woven into that fabric. As one who has never been there but wished too, I would love to see it reborn as well!

The last thing I saw was on the web in the past year or two but I think it was an older news item at that time.
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi, I took my daughter fly fishing for three days back in 1984. She was twelve at the time and we stayed at the cabins behind the old Hanzel and Gretel It is now closed and boarded up. On one of the evening I took her to the Antrim Lodge for dinner. I can barely remember sitting by the wall with her and having dinner. We had a good time fishing and she wrote an essay about our trip for her English Class and the teacher told her To send the story to different magazines. Well she sent them to a few magazines and got them published and made about $500.00 all together from the different magazines. Oh, by the way she caught a bunch of trout using a caddis fly that I tied for her. This was her first time fly fishing and she still talks about it after so many years. Bill the mailman

Caneghost

Post by Caneghost »

There is a website set up by the current owners: antrimlodge.com that says it was to re-open late 2019 or early 2020. No idea whether that not happening was mostly a Covid 19 situation or construction problems. That seems to be the latest news on the site, but I did not read the whole thing.
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Vance wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:00 am
Hi, I took my daughter fly fishing for three days back in 1984. She was twelve at the time and we stayed at the cabins behind the old Hanzel and Gretel It is now closed and boarded up. On one of the evening I took her to the Antrim Lodge for dinner. I can barely remember sitting by the wall with her and having dinner. We had a good time fishing and she wrote an essay about our trip for her English Class and the teacher told her To send the story to different magazines. Well she sent them to a few magazines and got them published and made about $500.00 all together from the different magazines. Oh, by the way she caught a bunch of trout using a caddis fly that I tied for her. This was her first time fly fishing and she still talks about it after so many years. Bill the mailman
Great story, Bill....
Hope all is well with you and your family !

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

Theroe wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:41 am
Vance wrote:
Great story, Bill....
Hope all is well with you and your family !

Dana
+1 on Theroe's response.

That is truly a special memory. I hope that your daughter kept writing and submitting stories. What a great experience for her to have magazines accept her story (and pay her, too) at age twelve.

I started fishing the area just a couple of years too late to experience the Antrim, so I'm hopeful that it will return.

–Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

I have such great memories as a kid going in there in the late 1960s and all through the 70s with my father........Elsewhere on this board, I posted detailed memories, especially from the downstairs bar.......I am fortunate to have experienced that era in time, even though I was too young to really know what I was looking at and hearing.

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Theroe wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:41 am
Vance wrote:
Great story, Bill....
Agreed... great story... and here are some memories...

Antrim Lodge memories.JPG
Antrim Lodge memories.JPG (78.96 KiB) Viewed 677 times

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

last time there, a few months before it closed, my wife Judy and I had dinner in the pub. The atmosphere was wonderful but the hamburgers weren't. I remember Judy commenting that they were "rancid". About 10 years ago I was commissioned by Mary Dette to make a frame with her flies to be used to assist the new opening...still awaiting the new opening.

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

I started fishing the Catskills in 1969 and only stayed at the Antrim one night. I remember the bathroom at the end of the hall and each room having a big armoire instead of closets. I also remember Keener's Pool. Those are my fond memories of the Antrim. My un-fond memory is that I didn't sleep a wink because of its closeness to the highway and all the road noise!