Fly Fest 2010 Announcement

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
JB Martin

Fly Fest 2010 Announcement

Post by JB Martin »

There have been some "early birds" inquiring about "Fly Fest 2010".

So let's get this started ( yes, I know it's only October)

Here we go again:

"Fly Fest 2010"
Saturday Feb. 13th, 2010
Time: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Place: Catskill Fly Fishing Center & Museum, Old Route 17, Livingston Manor, N.Y.
Cost: $ 5.00

Fly Fest 2010 is an informal fly tying get-together. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced fly tier, Fly Fest 2009 is the place to be.

What can be better that sitting around with a group of people who have the same interest in fly fishing as you do on a mid winter's day?

Here is a brief overview of the day:

Some of us will be starting the day off by meeting at the "Roscoe Diner" for breakfast at 8 a.m.. If you happen to be around and that time then come on in and join us, all are welcome!

At 10 a.m. the CFFC&M will open it's doors and the tying shall begin!

The "Fly Fest" will be held right smack dab in the Museum, where all the exhibits are. If we fill up that room, the Museum folks will open up the bldg. next door. At present we are looking to seat 4-6 tiers per table. Tables are 6' long, we will strive to make everybody comfortable.
There are plenty of outlets in the Museum for your tying lights, however if you can also bring an extension cord please do. If you have a couple of extra cords and a power strip or two, then please bring them as we can never have too many cords. A good idea in this area is to be sure your name is on the cord and strip, as this makes it a lot easier to ensure that the right cord goes home with the right person! :lol:

We will have coffee and donuts, etc. over in the Museum Office/Gift Shop.
This is important: " NO FOOD or DRINKS ARE ALLOWED IN THE MUSEUM!"
Besides getting up from your chair and taking a short walk to grab a cup and a donut, is a good way to stretch your legs and introduce yourself to others.
This event is just as much for making friends as it is for tying flies!

Lunch is up to you, you are free to come and go as you please!
Take a quick tour of the "Bea-Moc" or visit some of the shops in the area if you like, why not?

"Fly Fest 2010" will be for each one of you, whatever you make it to be.

ALSO:
At "Fly Fest 2010" we will be accepting FLY donations for:
"REEL RECOVERY"a national non-profit organization that conducts fly fishing retreats for men recovering from life-threatening cancer .
for info: http://www.reelrecovery.org

If you would like to donate some of your flies, they can be the ones you tie at "Fly Fest 2010" or flies that you have already have in your collection, simply drop them in the "REEL RECOVERY FLY DONATION BOX" at Fly Fest.

I know that it is easy sometimes to get focused on tying flies, I suggest that you do take some time to "visit" other tables and take a peek at what some of the other folks are doing.
There is a lot that we can learn from each other, to paraphrase or quote (if I remember this correctly) the late Poul Jorgensen, " Fly tying is a school that nobody ever graduates from!"

All money collected/raised at "Fly Fest 2010" will be donated to the Catskill Fly Fishing Center & Museum.

To help us get an idea of how many people to set up for please sign-up by simply posting your user-name right after this post.

Please feel free to ask all the questions about "Fly Fest 2010" you like.

JB

Keep Checking Back Here for Fly Fest 2010 Updates.
The "Theme Fly" for Fly Fest 2010 will be announced very soon.
"It is not how abundant nor how considerable our catch be, but rather to the sport, and manner in which our quarry, the noble trout is angled."- JB Martin

RDeMarsJr

Re: Fly Fest 2010 Announcement

Post by RDeMarsJr »

I am already looking forward to it!!!

John C.

Post by John C. »

I missed this one in 09, so I'm going to try like hell to get to 2010's event.
I'm giving tying lessons on Saturday's during the winter so I'll have to see what day's are open.
Or I can make sure that there will be no classes on the above date.
Fishing is fishing, but Flyfishing is some you will be learning the rest of your life.
If you think you know it all, I'm sure your mistaken.

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 »

I am in...

JB Martin

Post by JB Martin »

Here is the list so far:

1.) JB Martin
2.) Luzerne
3.) Ronbo
4.) TomTyer
5.) catskilljohn
6.) skondolf
7.) frenchflies aka fliesamess
8.) Survivor
9.) Fontinalis
10.) BigJimCaddis
11.) Quadfish
12.) Creeper
13.) Zugbug
14.) Irish Doc
15.) BruceC
16.) bmfs
17.) flymank
18.) RW
19.) Steve
20.) Vermonster
21.) TomTrout
22.) Upstate Rookie
23.) Hacklehouse
24.) The Wolf
25.) JohnC
26.) redietz
27.) Joe Fox
28.) corlay
29.) tim_y
30.) mikegsp
31.) monty
32.) Charlie
33.) Mara
34.) flapjack
35.) farnfine
36.) ENJ12
37.) flygirl
38.) Broadheadscreek
39.) gadfly
40.) AK Skim
41.) jamiep
42.) bkill
43.) Dr. Gonzo

If you don't see your name here and you plan on coming, please post so in this topic, thanks - JB

P.S. In memory and in spirit Rick Demars Jr. will be there.
Last edited by JB Martin on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"It is not how abundant nor how considerable our catch be, but rather to the sport, and manner in which our quarry, the noble trout is angled."- JB Martin

corlay

Post by corlay »

I plan to be there
Sounds like fun!

JB Martin

Post by JB Martin »

corlay,

You have been added, Thanks!

JB

JB Martin

Post by JB Martin »

The list is growing nicely, we are now at 34!

corlay

Post by corlay »

Question: Are there generally any vendors at Fly Fest?

I need a spool of Pearsall's 'Gossamer' #17 Brown.
Will I likely find it there on Saturday?
If so, I'll hold-off on ordering one via the 'net,
and avoid the pesky shipping charge for one lousy spool.

I don't tie flies with the stuff, but am using it on a rod building project at the moment.
I'd like to try the brown for some trim-bands vs. the black I've done some tests with.
The black is just a little too contrasting/harsh on this particular blank that I'm building.
I'm hoping that the brown will be just a tad 'softer' and 'warmer'; a be the perfect accent that I'm envisioning.

Or, alternatively, is anyone attending that has an extra spool (partially-used is ok, I don't need much...) that they want to part with?

JB Martin

Post by JB Martin »

corlay,

There are no vendors at FLY FEST, we try to keep it commercial free,
however there is always a bit of "trading" going on in the parking lot. ;)
Perhaps Joe, or some of the guys here might be able to "hook" you up! :D

JB