Favorite books

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
dazwah

Favorite books

Post by dazwah »

What is everyone favorite fishing book? My favorite is Caddisflies by LaFontaine. I am looking to add some books to my library.

Eperous

Re: Favorite books

Post by Eperous »

Not trying to be a wise guy, but your question is sort of a broad topic... could you narrow it down a bit... are you interested in "how to" or stories... for stories, just about everything Harry Middleton plus Nick Lyons to name my top two authors... Roderick Haig-Brown is pretty dam good also - A River Never Sleeps is my favorite of his series... on how to, current or old stuff??? I grew up reading Bergman's Trout, Flick's Streamside Guide & Schwiebert's Matching the Hatch... they always have a tender spot in my heart.... modern day, Rene Harrop - but it's not beginner stuff by any stretch...want to read about the history of the Catskills, a favorite subject of mine and probably lots of SGM board members their's Mac Francis, Ed Van Put's Trout Fishing in the Catskills and Mike Valla's first book Tying Catskill-Style Dry Flies... then there are a lot more tying books besides... I think we are only touching upon the tip of this iceberg...

So my response would depend upon what are you looking for...

Ed

dazwah

Post by dazwah »

I am after books on fly fishing and fly tying techniques. I am going to get Mikes book on Catskill flies, looks a cracker. I also am thinking about Dave Hughes book Nymphs for streams and stillwaters

hacklehead

Post by hacklehead »

Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout by Charlie Brooks.

redietz

Post by redietz »

Bergman's Trout on all counts.
Bob

Allan

Post by Allan »

The Complete Fly Fisherman - Notes and Letters of Theodore Gordon, by McDonald.

Allan

skondolf

Post by skondolf »

A couple books that you might find interesting are "Masters on the Nymph" and "Masters on the Dry Fly." These books are a compilation of short stories, how-to's, etc. written by different authors and they cover a broad spectrum of information on either nymph or dry fly fishing. The reason I suggest them is that perhaps by reading them you may find one or two author's in there who's writing style piques your interest and you could then investigate other books written by that individual.
Best Wishes,
Steve
><((((((*>

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Some very interesting responses here... now, I need you to help me out again... when I think of fly fishing in Australia, I think of clear, flats and slow water - much like the cold water release tailwaters below NYC Catskill reservoirs... maybe, I'm confusing this with New Zealand, are they the same... in other words, you would be fishing limited freestone streams with foamy pockets and fast water?

If so, I do think you might want to read Harrop's Trout Hunter and/or Mike Lawson's Spring Creeks... though I believe both might be out of print, commanding top dollar to acquire... that said, one of the best books I ever read - top ten material in over 200 books IMO - is Vince Marinaro's In the Ring of the Rise... I learned a lot about what trout were feeding on based upon their rise forms...

Just my 2 cents...

Ed

PS - For streamer fishing, it's hard to beat Galloup/Linsenman's Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout... the authors include a few streamers from "down under"... modern day nymphing, hard to say... I like David Hughes as a very good generalist, but not everyone does... maybe think soft-hackle wets... Hey, plesae let us know what you acquire - if anything - and what you think...

dazwah

Post by dazwah »

Eperous: Most of the streams I fish are tailwaters, I also fish a few reservoirs. In the ring of the rise sounds like something I would love. Thanks.

dennis

Post by dennis »

My favorite would be "The Complete Fly Fisherman - Notes and Letters of Theodore Gordon."

My favorite on fly fishing would be Marinaro. Fly tying techniques would be "Fly Tier's Benchside Reference".

I also rely on McClane's "Fishing Encyclopedia" or Joe Bates "Fishing". Lots of information.