Season opener April 1 2012

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
catskilljohn

Season opener April 1 2012

Post by catskilljohn »

Just returned from the opener, and although the weather was not what some would consider beautiful, it was a bee-utiful day! I made it to the Jeff house at 1:30am on Sunday morning, and got a few hours sleep before the days activities. Unable rest properly, I took a ride to Livingston Manor at 6:00 and walked up and down the Willow to check things out. Dark, cold out and although the water was 39*, it was in great shape, I was looking forward to daylight. The anglers pulloff just upstream of the museum was recently rehabilitated, a nice big walkway and 6X6's lining the new gravel walkway. Not my idea of a natural appearing upgrade, but it is a public stream and it makes a nice vantage point for onlookers.

We had a great crowd for first cast, Krul counted down from 10 to start us off and with those first casts, we were officially ready for the 2012 season. Afterward, the museum was buzzing with activity. Agnes had soup and cookies, brownies and other treats, and the plans for the new rod shop were on display.

I called Canazon and everything was set for the casting event at the school, but unfortunately Mike is feeling under the weather and could not attend any of todays functions. We had around 30 participants show up, and there were a few "new" rods to cast, I always enjoy this little get-together!

Afterwards, some of us headed back to the museum to witness the ground breaking for the new rod shop, and we all got a tour of the new shower/bathrooms and the tricked out kitchen. Its just a really well done job, very classy, and brings the facility to a new level.

Ted was tying flies in the museum, always a treat to watch his hands make flies with such ease, and I really enjoyed seeing everyone again. Jack, Ron, Bud, Rick, wolfie, it was fun hanging with you guys!

Here are a few shots from today

The Willow upstream of the museum...
A few of the boys...
Some of the contributors/architects and upper managment members at groundbreaking...
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

ted patlen

Re: Season opener April 1 2012

Post by ted patlen »

refreshing 12 yr old coffee on the river side...great way to start a new season.

fun weekend, good fishing , even in the pouring rain and wet coldness,

joe and i got some fish friday night, and i watched danny from the riverside get a few in cairns on saturday. and yesterday, during the rain, blue quills were all over the willow and fish were aggressive, got 4 fish , 3 nice brownies and a fat 13 " rainbow. funny but when the rain stopped the fish stopped feeding, but that was about 7 pm so the rain may have had nothing to do with it, but i'm just not sure. i was also checked for a license by the DEC. the agent told me he had a busy weekend and issued many summonses saturday. it is good to see someone patrolling the area.

fun relaxing weekend.

yo

Beaverkill

Post by Beaverkill »

I was pissed I missed it but had Daddy Duty this weekend...So while my friends were celebrating the opener and hitting the rivers... I was at an easter egg hunt watching aggressive parents filling the baskets for their 2 year olds... The entire time I was thinking, "I can be on the East Branch right now"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gFL7FBe_PA
Dan Ansbach

flymank

Post by flymank »

Me and alan fished the lower b-kill and hit a awesome quill gordon hatch with tons of little olive and some hendos too!We caught many fish all on drys in the rain without another soul in sight.These fish we all very healthy and fat and all bigger than 15" A great start to the fishing season-flymank out

quadfish

Post by quadfish »

It was a simply superb day, including the rain. The only problem for me was, no fish in the net. Hey John, I should have stuck with the plan I had when I was talking to you and Ronbo out front of the school My bad, I headed the other direction instead. Well, as they say, "the worst day of fishing is better than the best day of work" I'll get them next time which should be very soon!!!

Thanks for the pics, CJ, we all look wonderful. lol!!

It was great seeing you guys.

Later, Rick :D
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

quadfish wrote: Thanks for the pics, CJ, we all look wonderful. lol!!
Who needs Mark Ruffalo when we got us? :lol:

I thought I got a shot of Ronbo and his crew...thats the attention getter! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"