Brook Trout pond patterns: favorites

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
mikevalla

Brook Trout pond patterns: favorites

Post by mikevalla »

Speaking of getting back into the wilderness ponds in late September---here's what I'll be carrying: my three favorite ADK brookie pond patterns:
That's all you really need--and a couple of buggers, too.

An optic pattern is a good bet; such as this Fox's Brown Optic bucktail.

A bright American Smelt, in small sizes--#6-10’s—work well, too

Throw in an Oatman pattern or two, such as this Golden Smelt
Follow me on Twitter

catskilljohn

Re: Brook Trout pond patterns: favorites

Post by catskilljohn »

I would be tying that top one on before I even got to the waters edge :D Beauty Mike, thats a great trip! The Adirondacks are our only hope right now, the Catskills are drying up by the minute. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

You know--that Fox pattern above---it's a Charlie Fox pattern, from the early 1940's---not our Fox..., but he could have invented something just as great.

I've never fished it in streams, only ponds. Not real reason.
Follow me on Twitter

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

love the painted eyes and the jc sides

very well tied...who tyed them for you mike? :lol:

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

ted patlen wrote: very well tied...who tyed them for you mike? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats precious!!! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman »

Guys;

With those smelt patterns, are they best trolled in a canoe/kayak in the ponds or cast and retrieve or either way? Also, would they be effective for landlocks as well ?

Thanks,

David

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

With those smelt patterns, are they best trolled in a canoe/kayak in the ponds or cast and retrieve or either way? Also, would they be effective for landlocks as well ?
We usually troll the feather-wing patterns---in late May. The bucktails are fished almost like a jig, in early fall.

-I've caught my fair share of landlocks--but not on that particular pattern. But imagine it would do well, trolled
Follow me on Twitter

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

Mike,

Did you have much time to toss streamers in Cayuga Lake during your time at Cornell?

There can be great fishing for trout and salmon off the points during foul weather-fall through the winter, and on into spring.

The streamers you posted would surely get the job done there!

Best,

Tim

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Did you have much time to toss streamers in Cayuga Lake during your time at Cornell?
Tim,

Yes...I spent way too much time cutting classes, and wading out into the lake on gravel bars, whipping out streamers on shooting heads.And that behavior continued long after I graduated. Pretty much all through the 1970's, when you add it all up. Left the area, then returned in the 80's when I set up my practice in Ithaca---and was right back at it there on Cayuga---just like the "good old days".... Was fishing there before college, with flies, back in high school years---but at the mouth of salmon and fall creek. Also fished Fall Creek, in college years, for landlocks because it was located right down the hill from campus.

>I almost always fished streamers on Cayuga in Mid-September until about Thanksgiving time, November. But also in the frigid January months, at Milliken Station, at the warm water discharge from the power plant. That was great! Mostly big browns. Never fished streamers in Cayuga May through early September; I was usually in the Catskills---fishing dry flies :) However, I did get out---come to think of it---in very early May for landlocks on Cayuga

I've put up a bunch of posts, in the past, on the forums (SGM included---probably before you joined us) concerning my years on Cayuga Lake--in the 70's, and all the streamers I tossed on those waters. Many fond memories there, Tim--in what I call my "streamer years." (There's at least a half dozen original patterns, revisited, that will appear in that little "streamers" book, that will be out in December.)

There's the Myers Point #1, #2 and #3 streamers---and that Mylar smelt pattern, too.

Here's the Myers Point #1, created in college years (Ca. 1974 or 1975)

>Sneak preview from the book:

".....The Myers Point #1 was created in the mid-1970’s for fishing trout and landlocked salmon on Cayuga Lake, one of the Finger Lakes located in central New York State. Although it wouldn’t happen on every outing, as McClane alluded to, there were times the fish would slam a quickly retrieved feather-winged streamer at the mouth of Salmon Creek, at Myers Point."
Follow me on Twitter

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman »

Mike;

When you streamer fish for salmon, do you use sinking, sink-tip or floating line? I know the full sinking is supposed to be most effective for trolling but would be kinda difficult for cast and retrieve right?

Thanks,

David