Help with fly identification.

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Troutbum43@

Help with fly identification.

Post by Troutbum43@ »

Hi, I took this pic years ago at the museum and never labeled it. Is this Herman Christian or Roy Steenrod? Any help would be very much appreciated! ;)
Attachments
christian-001.jpg
christian-001.jpg (47.64 KiB) Viewed 950 times

Allan

Re: Help with fly identification.

Post by Allan »

Well, given the two choices, I've got a 50/50 shot. Actually, here's my guess but I've some logic behind it. Fly tyed by Herm Christian. Reason - He tied and fished streamers and it's his 'Bumblepuppy' recipe that I think is considered the standard. I've a feeling that Steenrod adhered somewhat more to dry flies.
Hey CJ, what do you think?

Allan

Troutbum43@

Post by Troutbum43@ »

If I remember right, it was a Christian! But... :?:

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

it is credited to roy steenrod. i made that display case years ago. the director at that time, Lisa Lyons, had the idea of the pyramid shape for displaying the different types of flies. so she asked for my assistance.

funny thing, we worked our way through the museums incredibly extensive collect and pulled out many flies tied by our most famous tyers. when Lisa wanted a , let's say a red quill, we had to choose between one tyed by, Flick, Elsie, Harry, Walt, Winnie etc. i think we decided upon the Flick fly, and threw the others into what we called the "garbage" pile. After we finalized the effort we had a "garbage" pile worth somewhere in excess of $15,000....

Troutbum43@

Post by Troutbum43@ »

Thanks Ted!

Allan

Post by Allan »

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the background and identification. I stand corrected.

Allan