Elsie's flies

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
narcodog

Elsie's flies

Post by narcodog »

There has been a listing on Ebay claiming three flies are Elsie's. I don't believe it. Have any of you seen them and what is your opinion?

Eperous

Re: Elsie's flies

Post by Eperous »

narcodog wrote:There has been a listing on Ebay claiming three flies are Elsie's. I don't believe it. Have any of you seen them and what is your opinion?
Bob, maybe you should post the link to eBay so we know what you are looking at?

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

My opinion? Buying flies from someone you dont know is a crapshoot, you could get something authentic...or not. They look like old flies, and who knows, maybe they are the real deal, but for $70.00 I would pass.

Here is a little story for you...

A couple years ago a guy was walking around during the Summerfest show with hopes of selling a big compartment box filled with "Harry Darbee" flies. He was showing them to everyone who expressed even the slightest curiosity, and as far as I know, he left the show with every one of them. No one knew him, so the doubt was there. If Tom Mason or Ed VanPut was carrying them around, they would have been sold to the first guy who looked. You just never know, so many tyers make beautiful and accurate Catskill drys, unless you are buying from a credable source...

CJ

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

Here's the thing. I have seen a few of Elsie's flies and I have never seen one tyed like the top fly. Pretty damn sloppy if you ask me. The bottom fly looks as if it has a very small barb, also not tyed very, IMO.

I asked the seller about the flies, he has no documentation but is expecting some from Lang's from whom he purchased them from.

I have no intention of buying them. I just wanted opinions on them of being Elsie's or not.

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

Thank's so much John.I am blushing.I have been called lot's of things but never a credible source.The flies do not appear of Darbee origin but I geuss one never realy knows.Real Elsie flies are easily documented as they are hardly ever for sale.

Tom :oops:

Allan

Post by Allan »

Just as an aside and some of you may have been there so this is verifiable.

At the Catskill Fly Tyer's Annual Picnic there has always been a fly casting contest. Okay, well I haven't been to the picnic for several years but I understand they still have the contest. Anyway, that particular year I believe I came in 3rd. Judie Darbee had donated the 'awards' for the contest. Each award was a film container filled with about 10-12 flies which Judie explained had been taken from her parents' fishing vests or boxes. So, the winning caster had his/her pick of a container, then the 2nd and down to the 5th(I think). I had no documentation but considered the flies I had received to have been tyed by one or both of her parents. I know I should have had them framed.

Allan

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Bob, folks...

Not sure what I was thinking, if I was thinking at all... been involved outside trying to clean up Sandy's mess here while still stealing some time on the water these last couple weeks of November... if you want to see a few Elsie Darbee flies, I have some... and maybe one of these was tied by Harry also, don't recall and would have to search to see if I still have any correspondence... back in the late 60's and early '70's I would occasionally stop off at their place--- I was never a regular, but did stop a few times... mostly I corresponded with Elsie about out-of-print fishing books I wanted to purchase.. I picked up several beauts, including a couple by Ed Hewitt... anyway, I also placed a small order for a half dozen flies... back then, I don't think folks tied such things as "presentation" or "framable flies"... slightly off topic, I remember talking to Fran Betters about this and he told me to "pick a few from the bins, they're all farming quality"...

Anyway, I kept those six dry flies for a few years before having them mounted... the shadow box hangs on a brick wall by my woodstove, so the signed card dropped from its spot due to the heat and needs to be properly reattached...

All this duly noted, here are six Darbee flies--- mostly all Elsie's, could be one of Harry's there also, I don't recall, but he signed the card just the same...

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Eperous wrote: All this duly noted, here are six Darbee flies--- mostly all Elsie's, could be one of Harry's there also, I don't recall, but he signed the card just the same...
Ed

Yea, wow, thats about the best way to obtain authenticity...buy them and have him/her sign a card right then and there! Nice Ed, really nice! CJ

ps...one of my most treasured items is a Darbee buisness card. It was in a book that my friend bought, being used as a book mark no doubt and he had it in the display case at his flyshop for years. When they shut the place down, I helped them pack up and his dad asked me if I wanted anything for helping. I declined, and he reached down in the case and handed me the card. I guess he remembered all the times I commented on it :D

solitaryangle

Post by solitaryangle »

Hi guys, I have two Light Hendricksons that were supposedly tied by Elsie, but I have no official provenance. I'll have to ask my consignment customer where he acquired them again - can't remember. The majority of the other flies in his collection have solid provenance. Whatcha' think of this one?

Gary
P1040296x.jpg
P1040296x.jpg (337.4 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
P1040298x.jpg
P1040298x.jpg (321.3 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
P1040300x.jpg
P1040300x.jpg (312.77 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
P1040297x.jpg
P1040297x.jpg (332.05 KiB) Viewed 1591 times