Work bench for planing cane

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
dennis

Work bench for planing cane

Post by dennis »

I've finally got the more expensive tools together to build a rod, have my forms & binder & planes. Now I just need to put together my work area and planing bench, I built a work bench before for in my garage but its a little unsteady and I'd like to make sure I do this right for my basement work shop.......can anyone offer any insight into a planing table/bench that has worked for them? Any plans available? I'd like to use materials that can be found fairly easily & cheap. How high should the bench be for planing?
Thanks Dennis

Ronbo

Re: Work bench for planing cane

Post by Ronbo »

Dennis,
I have made two benches. One is made from aluminum extrusions and pvc board. It is very nice and is very expensive to build. I got the material as surplus from a project and would not of bought or designed it if I was paying for it. Now my other bench is built with 4x4 legs with 2x6 crossbeams it is sturdy, sturdy, sturdy!!
This is the bench you want. It is toped with a 3/4" piece of plywood with a 1/4 piece of melamine on top of that. The dimentions should range from 30" deep to 6-8ft long. Low is the way to go on a planing bench and I would stay in the 32"- 34" range. you do not want a high bench for planing.
I also use the same bench for wrapping rods after the planing is done. Hope this helps you out it would be very difficult to go to heavy duty on this.
Ronbo

dennis

Post by dennis »

Ronbo, That aluminum and pvc bench sounds like a great idea,any pictures? I hadn't considered the 4x4's but will use them. I have a 30"x72" counter top to use for the bench top, very smooth and level. Thought I'd glue it to the top, that way I wouldn't have to drill holes for screws. What do you think? You mention melamine for your top. Is that like a veneer and did you glue it to the plywood. Thanks for your help Dennis

Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Hey Dennis
The aluminum extrusion is used for industrial modular machinery construction. it makes a nice bench but a solid wood bench is all
you really need. Go with the 4x4 legs and an upper and lower 6x6 cross brace. You can install shelving on the bottom and I also installed a split shelf halfway up on one half of the bench Put down the 3/4in. plywood and I screwed a top of melumine/ melumac on top. I predrilled and countersunk the screws so everything was perfectly flat. Not sure if they make the sheet I used but here is something very similiar from home depot that should work fine. Here's the link to what home depot has.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... yID=503003
Have fun setting up the shop and you'll be building some fine Boo rods in no time. :)