Somerset 2013

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Somerset 2013

Post by Eperous » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:57 pm

Passed a major milestone today heading towards the opening of the 2013 trout season; attended "The Fly Fishing Show" in Somerset, NJ... always a great event running into so many familiar faces and friends... also left a little money behind; brought home some tying materials and another piece of cane... ;)

Here's the Catskill Fly Tyer's Guild table with Jeff, Aaron, and CJ...
#1.jpg
Jeff, Aaron, CJ
#1.jpg (75.59 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
At that same table, here's Big Indian Guide and former Guild pres, Hank Rope...
#2.jpg
Hank
#2.jpg (83.81 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Stumbled upon Teddy P. and Mr. Joe Fox...
#3.jpg
Teddy P & Joe Fox
#3.jpg (66.8 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
At the author's table, isn't that Mike Valla signing his book...
#4.jpg
Mike Valla
#4.jpg (119.37 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Noted fly tyers, Bob Mead & Dave Brandt...
#9.jpg
Bob Mead & Dave Brandt
#9.jpg (86.45 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
And at "Sud's Pool" where more trout are caught and flies drown, here are three of the Jersey Boys with Henry...
#5.jpg
Jersey Boys & Henry
#5.jpg (108.77 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Along came the Railroad Man, standing next to Sweetpea, one of the Jersey Boys...
#6.jpg
Sweetpea & Mr. Railroad Man
#6.jpg (100.72 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Heading back upstate, I got off the Thruway at New Paltz and cut over the Gunks to get a look at my Catskills...
#7.jpg
the Catskills from Mohonk Road
#7.jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Fishing was on my mind today, but it's still winter as the icy Ashokan lets us know, a stone throw from home...
#8.jpg
Frozen Ashokan Reservoir
#8.jpg (89.37 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Ran into others including Frequenttyer (Mike) from SGM, Ron U., Cliff S. plus some I probably forgot to mention :( , but also missed a few good friends... :cry: :cry: still a great day, a new year's milestone met and passed...

Ed

Jerry G

Re: Somerset 2013

Post by Jerry G » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks for sharing the pics with us all Ed. Reading the message board here on a daily basis it's always nice to put some faces with otherwise just names and some posts.

Regards, Jerry

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Ed,

Nice report, wish i could have attended. Had to take care of stuff around the house-which of course will free me up when it's warm enough to fish...maybe!

I did make a small getaway today. I went up to Oak Orchard Fly Shop and watched Ray "Letumgo" Tucker tie some of his spectacular soft hackles.

Looking forward to hearing the about the new acquisition!

Glad you had a fun and safe trip!

Tim

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:40 pm

It was really great to see you Ed, glad you could make the trip. I enjoyed meeting your friends too, what a great bunch of guys. I bet the trout fear that bunch, lots of experience standing at your table :D

It was fun seeing everyone again. Rick, Rob, Joe, Aaron, Tim and Jeff, thanks for keeping me company at the table, its cold and lonely in the refrigerated section :lol:

Looked at a bunch of nice rods, Rob had his eye on a sweet little Heddon ;) Charlie was selling capes as fast as he could count money, it seems to me that stand is the most popular and most visited of all the booths in the show. Good for him, as his hackle is top shelf, and the color selection was better than I have ever seen it. Chocolate dun, used on Ed VanPut's Able Mabel, a color I have not seen from Charlie in the past. I have a Metz cape that color, but Charlie's stuff is :D

Valla and I browsed through an antique Mustad hook assortment, but most of the hooks were dog numbers, or numbers we have but dont use much.

Great to meet everyone again, especially in mid winter, thanks for the company guys! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

dennis

Post by dennis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Ed

Great report and picture's for sure.

Dennis

quadfish

Post by quadfish » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:41 pm

Great pics, Ed! Especially the "Skills from Mohonk Rd.", always a beautiful sight. I guess our timing was a little bit off, I stood in the same spot as Jeff is standing in your picture of the Guild Booth for at least a half hour. I would have liked to meet you in person. I didn't even see Aaron today, and sometimes I feel like he's right there every time I turn around :lol:, sorry I missed you this time Aaron! Well, at least I bumped into Jeff, literally! :oops:

Had a great time cruising the aisles with Rob and CJ! :D :D :D Too bad we couldn't find you in time for lunch, John!!

This show is much more a good meeting place to see all the guys, and that's what will keep me coming back for more!!

It has become impossible to spend good quality time with everyone in one day, but at least I get a chance to see as many folks as possible and have a great time doing it!!! :lol: :D :lol:

Next event: Fly Fest!!! 2 weeks and counting :idea:

Until then, Rick :D
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

pamike

Post by pamike » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:06 am

Great review. My wife and I arrived Thursday evening. We went to check out the bar in the holiday inn and it was curtains from there. We were talking with a few of the FFF guys and then we came across Meat, Staltz and Brandt. Holy headache Friday morning! Bought a few saddles from Charlie and booked our spot in MA to tie with April Vokey at Bears Den. Then just walked and B.S ed for a while. I must say it was my most memorable fly show yet. I can't wait for the Lancaster show so I can do it all again...

jwsnma

Post by jwsnma » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:05 am

Had a chance to meet some of these good folks at the Marborough this year and get a book signed by Mike V. Looks like I will have too make my down to Somerset next year

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:12 am

Great time talking with Joe Fox and the other folks at the Guild table, located in Antarctica (!) ... and cruising the aisles with Rick and CJ.

Ed, I spotted you and your crew but you were holding court and I didn't want to interrupt mid-tale.

This year I behaved and did not break out the credit card ... even after a couple beers... although I did not want to put down that little Heddon rod I found. I'll start saving my nickels, maybe by spring I'll have enough, if it's still for sale. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ed, would you care to fill us in on which cane rod you added to your arsenal... the rest of us need to live vicariously!

Rob J.
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:06 pm

[quote="Bamboo&Brookies"
This year I behaved and did not break out the credit card ... even after a couple beers... although I did not want to put down that little Heddon rod I found.[/quote]

Good thing I couldn't make it this time. I wouldn't have put it down; it would have come home with me.
Bob