Somerset 2013

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Re: Somerset 2013

Post by Eperous » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:03 pm

Bamboo&Brookies wrote:... Ed, I spotted you and your crew but you were holding court and I didn't want to interrupt mid-tale. ... would you care to fill us in on which cane rod you added to your arsenal...
Rob, you should have broke in; my buddies and I would have welcomed you with open arms, and suds soaked lips... :o I pulled CJ into the den of this motley crew... :P

I picked up a used Battenkill, almost as old as me, but not quite... I needed--- no, wanted--- another cane rod to have/use when most of the folks on the SGM are sipping coffee, reading this board, or hunting like you during snow-storms in April, or ice-in-the-guides days of November... those old Orvis Battenkills are like Timex watches, they just keep on ticking no matter what the conditions... it's an 8 foot, 6 weight cane rod that I lawn-cast today--- just lovely... I'll be fishing it on our "Neversink" come spring 2013...

Ed

narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Ed, is it a two or three piece? I do 90% of my fishing with a two piece. I just love it. I fish it with a silk HDH.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:30 pm

narcodog wrote:Ed, is it a two or three piece? I do 90% of my fishing with a two piece. I just love it. I fish it with a silk HDH.
Bob, a two piece... most of my fishing is done with a two-piece also.... I would have loved a three-piece, but informed that they are harder to find and more expensive....

Ed

PS - I use Cortland Slyk lines on all of my varnished cane rods... the Battenkills are work-horses, not to be babied, nor pampered.... ALL-AMERICAN CANE!!!

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Ed,

Congrats on the Battenkill. That sounds like one outstanding stick -- both a tried-and-true workhorse, at home throwing nymphs and streamers, and a fine thoroughbred capable of precise dry-fly presentation.

You can't go wrong with those rods.

All the bests and if I can find a way I hope to see some of you at Fly Fest.

Rob
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

AaronH

Post by AaronH » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Rick:
Sorry I missed you. I think it was the first time I missed you at a show. After Jeff told me I kept my eyes open but I guess the stars weren't aligned. Look forward to seeing you at Fly Fest.
Be well.
Aaron

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Eperous wrote:.... ALL-AMERICAN CANE!!!
Well, all Chinese cane...but split, planed and finished in America :D CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:53 pm

catskilljohn wrote:
Eperous wrote:.... ALL-AMERICAN CANE!!!
Well, all Chinese cane...but split, planed and finished in America :D CJ
Okay, okay, okay... got me :oops: ... all Chinese tonkin cane :) , but an All-American bamboo rod--- with a long, rich angling tradition... :D

Ed

Frequenttyer

Post by Frequenttyer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:56 pm

I had a great time at the show this year. Spent about twice what I thought I would, but got some some nice materials. It was good to meet some of the folks from this forum and guys from the Catskill Guild, Tying with the guild was a lot of fun, and as an added bonus I now know that I can tie flys in a walk-in cooler if the need arises. On the topic of cane rods, i enjoyed meeting Hoagy Carmichael and had him sign my copy of the Garrison book. I also picked up a copy of his book "8" which is shaping up to be an excellent read.
Now with Somerset behind us, spring cant be long in coming.
Mike.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:08 pm

great show ...seeing the guys and the flowing bullsh%$...but that is why i go...

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:23 pm

I see most were wearing winter jackets or at least a vest and someone commented about the lack of heat. Ted I couldn't help but notice in Ed's pic's ( thanks Ed) you were the only fellow in short sleeves. :o Does the felt hat keep the whole body warm? :lol:

Regards, Jerry