Phoenicia Library needs help

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Phoenicia Library needs help

Post by Eperous »

Almost two years ago Mike Valla posted a thread on this bulletin board regarding a terrible fire that destroyed the Phoenicia Library overnight. Here is that post to remind folks of that tragedy: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1451&p=10296&hilit=fire#p10296

Phoenicia is a sleepy Catskill hamlet on the banks of the Esopus Creek that the late Cecil Heacox called “the first trout capital of the Charmed Circle. Phoenicia is its nerve center…” In that longstanding tradition, the Phoenicia Library was home to the Jerry Bartlett collection of angling books, fishing rods local kids could sign-out, and an Esopus Creek hatch chart. Just about all of that was lost during the fire, but now almost two years later, progress is being made in restoring the library and Jerry Bartlett collection. For those who didn’t know Jerry, he was a local fishing guide whose extensive angling knowledge was imparted to many anglers before his untimely death.

And not to confuse this issue, or rub salt into this wound, but shortly after that fire, Phoenicia and the Town of Shandaken was devastated by hurricane Irene in August of 2011. Remember those sad pictures displayed on this board: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1797&hilit=+Phoenicia

All of that is in the past, but the Phoenicia Library still needs help. Work is underway to update and reconstruct the library “Esopus Creek hatch chart”, but this time digitally. Local TU member Mark Loete, a professional photographer, is leading this effort. To that extent, several local fly tyers have tied flies for Mark to photograph as part of the new digital chart, but we need more.

Thus no one is asking for money, but some trout flies. We ask that all flies be tied on a NUMBER TWELVE (12) hook, or larger if the pattern calls for such, for photographic purposes. Mark also needs to know the pattern/recipe used to tie the fly, source, and originator if the last item is known. In return for your support, your name will be listed as a supporter of this project when it’s completed. There will be a fly tyer’s page, so sending along a short bio of yourself would be greatly appreciated. Wherever possible, use a traditional Catskill pattern if one exists, though not all the flies listed below are Catskill patterns.

Please PM me letting me know what pattern(s) you’ll tie before tying anything and I'll get back to you, update the list, plus let you know where the fly should be sent.

On behalf of the folks in Phoenicia, especially the kids--- THANK YOU!

Ed

Dry flies needed:

Ginger Quill - CJ
Red Quill - CJ

Blue Wing Olive - Sweetpea, Mr. Joe David
Blue Quill - CJ
Black Quill - CJ

Hendrickson - Tony Bonavist
Grey Fox - CJ
Rusty Spinner - Tony Bonavist

Royal Trude - AaronH
White Wulff - CJ
Letort Cricket - CAH

Wets, nymphs, streamers:

March Brown wet - Bob Petti
Black Woolly Worm - Bob Petti

Zug Bug - The Polish Prince
Hare’s Ear Nymph - The Polish Prince

Black Stonefly Nymph - SgtMajUSMC, Tim Didas
Prince Nymph - The Polish Prince

Brown Stonefly Nymph - SgtMajUSMC, Tim Didas
Pheasant Tail Nymph - Mr. Spundun, Tony Cocozza
Golden Stonefly Nymph - SgtMajUSMC, Tim Didas
Fox Squirrel Nymph - Bob Petti
Montana Nymph - SgtMajUSMC, Tim Didas
La Fontaine Sparkle Emerger - SgtMajUSMC, Tim Didas

Black Woolly Bugger - Bob Petti
Black Nosed Dace - Bob Petti
Mickey Finn - Bob Petti

PLEASE REFER TO POST SEVERAL THREADS DOWN FOR MORE INFO ON THIS PROJECT --- THANKS...
Last edited by Eperous on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.

ted patlen

Re: Phoenicia Library needs help

Post by ted patlen »

hey ed...how about photos of the originals?

yo

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

Ed, why don't you ask the folks coming to Fly Fest to tye some of those flies. You will most likely get more than is needed to fill the request.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Ted... I'm only a "go-for" in this process, but I do believe Mark requires the flies in hand to take the photos for consistency in background and quality of the image...

Bob... I was hoping a few folks might have flies to hand me at the Fly Fest Saturday, which I hope is not impacted by a forecast snow storm this Friday...

Good questions, good ideas--- just responding with the info I've been told...

Ed

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

A bit more background--- I believe Mark has close to/over four dozen flies in hand, or shortly promised, by four members of our local TU chapter including: myself, Roger Menard--- an outsanding tyer/flyfisher & author of My Side of the River, Hank Rope--- former pres of the CFTG, and Lance Hoffman--- son of the late Ralph Hoffman. Among those flies are many classic Catskill patterns including flies of local Esopus history by the late Ray Smith and Ralph Hoffman.

Timing: Flies are needed NO LATER than the end of February.

One other major point, the project/library only needs one fly for each of the patterns still listed above...

Examples of pattern info needed, based upon three flies I tied. (Note, an originator might not always be known/clear info.)

Epeorus Nymph:

Abdomen - rabbit and red fox mixed – greyish tan
Thorax – beaver dub
Wing case – brown mottled turkey
Legs – brown partridge
Tail – two wood duck fibers
Rib – trimmed brown saddle hackle
Thread – black
Hook – 12-14 Mustad 9671
Source - Matching the Hatch
Originator – Ernest Schwiebert

Red Fox dry fly:

Tail – wood duck
Body – buff and red belly fur of red fox
Hackle – light ginger
Wings – wood duck
Thread - white
Hook – 12 Mustad 94840
Source – Outdoor Life, May 1972
Originator – Ray Smith

Wild Turkey wet fly:

Tail – none
Tag – none
Body – black floss
Rib – palmered brown hackle
Wings – brown turkey
Legs – none
Hook – 10-12 standard wet fly hook
Source – Ray Smith’s notes
Originator – Ray Smith

Thanks for all interest and any help.

Ed

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

Ed,

I'll be happy to tie the rest of the nymphs.

Best,

Tim

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

SgtMajUSMC wrote:Ed,

I'll be happy to tie the rest of the nymphs.

Best,

Tim
You da man--- along with all the other tyers! Many thanks...

Ed

flymank

Post by flymank »

I can do the "blue dun and white wulff " dries if you want me too,just let me know,thanks john

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

flymank wrote:I can do the "blue dun and white wulff " dries if you want me too,just let me know,thanks john
John... thanks much for the offer... I just saw your post after updating the list above, and we filled it out... BUT, THANKS for the willingness to get involved...

Ed

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Done!!! ... at least the sign-up part...

Thanks to everyone who will be tying and/or offered to tie... ONE FLY needed on a #12 hook, per the pattern(s) you signed up for... Mark, the project's head man, needs all flies by the end of this month... any questions, send me a PM and/or email...

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Ed