Kinda Off The Wall

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
ewpeper

Kinda Off The Wall

Post by ewpeper » Fri May 03, 2013 10:10 am

Received this from a friend today. It kinda redefines "realistic tying."

Following is the copy sent with the photo.

Is this a mosquito? No. It's an insect spy drone for urban areas, already in production, funded by the US Government. It can be remotely controlled and is equipped with a camera and a microphone. It can land on you, and it may have the potential to take a DNA sample or leave RFID tracking nanotechnology on your skin. It can fly through an open window, or it can attach to your clothing until you take it in your home. Given their propensity to request macro-sized drones for surveillance, one is left with little doubt that police and military may look into these gadgets next.

This of course is not something "already in production." It is a mock-up of something that could one day be reality and could perform the tasks outlined. I couldn't find a creditable source for the photo. I just thought fly tiers might enjoy being aware that someone is crowding into our turf. If anyone is bothered by this or feels it is inappropriate, moderators please feel free to remove it.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

quadfish

Re: Kinda Off The Wall

Post by quadfish » Fri May 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Eric,

If you haven't already been hauled in for interrogation about the missing top secret spy bot photo, I'm not too sure about this thing???? :?

I don't think it'll fly, but I do think it would catch a trout, given the proper presentation!! :o

Happy Hendo Hatch!! Rick :D
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Sat May 04, 2013 12:12 am

Happy to see where a 3rd of my check goes every week! Probably costs more than a house to make, and imagine the R&D that goes with it.

Micro drones...there are people that still dont have their houses after the Sandy storm, and this is what the government spends money on :roll:

Also...why make it look like a mosquito? Doesn't everyone who see's a mosquito slap it dead? Make it look like a $20.00 bill if you want someone to hold on to it. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC » Sat May 04, 2013 5:01 am

Realistic fly tying never did interest me!

quashnet

Post by quashnet » Sat May 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Here's the real deal - it imitates behavior exactly, has an impressionistic appearance, and comes supplied with its own tippet material. Glue on a #14 hook and you're ready to go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22380287
Please visit and bookmark the NEW Paul H. Young Rod Database at phydatabase.com

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Sat May 04, 2013 7:05 pm

quashnet wrote:Here's the real deal - it imitates behavior exactly, has an impressionistic appearance, and comes supplied with its own tippet material. Glue on a #14 hook and you're ready to go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22380287
Pale Morning Drone?

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat May 04, 2013 9:16 pm

I hear that the Chinese are making Bat drones to eat the Mosquito drones.

zazzer

Post by zazzer » Sat May 04, 2013 10:10 pm

Now I think they could machine make a fishing fly.