Roscoe American Amber Ale

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Barleywine

Roscoe American Amber Ale

Post by Barleywine »

This section of the board is called the Bar Stool, so it seems like the place to post a beer review.

A few weeks ago, attending the fly tying rendezvous, I noticed Roscoe Beer Company right next door to the Rockland House. Walked over to check out the scene with Catskill John who has a beautiful fly he tyed in the company's shadow box. They weren't selling beer at that location, but a short ride over to the old IGA store on Stewart put me in contact with a six-pack of their first offering; Trout Town American Amber Ale. Good thing I had a flashlight app on my phone to navigate the beer shelf as the town was in the midst of a power failure from the heavy storm that rolled through the previous night and blew out the rivers.

So here it is....

The beer is an orange-toned amber color, with a good head and a little bit of chill haze which cleared up quickly as the beer warmed up a few degrees. This first thing that hits you is a very pleasant toasted malt aroma. This is not a hop-forward beer with one of those big spicy hop noses that people seem to expect from so many micros making IPA styles. This beer is subtle, with good balance between the sweet candy malt, toasted grain, and hop bitterness, which all marries well with a hint of fruitiness from the ale yeast. Although the malt is upfront, the beer has a dry finish with a touch of lingering hops in the back of the throat that kept me wanting repeated sips. As you can tell, I was really pleased with this beer. I don't know what this company has planned for future offerings, but they seem to be off to a strong start.

Here you can see the beer clearing after a few minutes, but the head is still lingering.

Has anyone else tried this brew?
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

catskilljohn

Re: Roscoe American Amber Ale

Post by catskilljohn »

I didn't try it, but I have a case of it at the Jeff house :D

You sound like you really know your beer man, what a description! It was fun walking in there, what a great bunch of folks. I wish them well in their beer-making, and the outdoorsy theme really works. CJ

ps...that power outage happened while we were tying that morning. Some lines went down between Roscoe and L.M. Poor foxy Joe was working in the dark at Dette's Trout Flies :D
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

Never was there a more appropriate topic for "The Bar Stool"!

Quite a description...makes me want to have one now, even though I haven't even had my breakfast yet...like Jimmy Buffett said, it's 5 o'clock somewhere! Oh, crap...it's also a workday-scrap that idea!

A more accurate description of the brew might be that as it clears, it disappears-clearly the level of the glass is lower. That beer must evaporate fast...

CJ, do you use that case of beer for a tying bench?

Ducking, hobbling, and laughing,

Tim

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Perfect topic for the Bar Stool, especially with a name "Trout Town American Amber Ale".

It was important to us to create a beer that was well balanced and easy drinking. John Carr achieved this with Trout Town American Amber Ale. True to its name TTAA has a beautiful Amber color and produces a near perfect head when pouring. The blend has a very light citrus finish, with balanced malt and hops. By no means is it extreme in anyway. It has a nice light finish and is a great product to enjoy all night long or while relaxing after spending the day in the great outdoors! This style of beer would have been typically brewed in New York State during the early 1900's. IBU's 30-40, Color (SRM) 8-18, ABV 5 – 6%.

http://roscoebeercompany.com/beer.html

Facebook page ... https://www.facebook.com/RoscoeBeerCompany

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

I love to visit micro-breweries... and your description of this brew makes me want to find my way over to Roscoe, real soon... do you know how many different type beers/ales they offer?

Beer, the breakfast beverage of choice of flyfishers, world over... :roll: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the post...

Ed

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

I don't even drink and I feel as if I could drink one right now. :mrgreen:

quadfish

Post by quadfish »

Great review there, Barleywine! I think you must be some sort of an aficionado or something!! :lol:

I recon I'll have to try some real soon!!

-Rick
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

[quote="SgtMajUSMC"]

A more accurate description of the brew might be that as it clears, it disappears-clearly the level of the glass is lower. That beer must evaporate fast...

You're right Tim. That would've been a more accurate description. The beer does evaporate. ;)
I've got the same problem with my good Scotch. It's pretty annoying.

To Ed- as far as other beers they have, I'm pretty sure that this is their first. Hopefully there will be other styles offered soon.

There's another beer called Roscoe's Hop House Ale, but that doesn't come from Roscoe. I think that's a brewery in Rochester. I've never tried that one.

Now what I really need to do is get up to the Catskills again and actually do some fishing!
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Barleywine wrote: To Ed- as far as other beers they have, I'm pretty sure that this is their first. Hopefully there will be other styles offered soon.

There's another beer called Roscoe's Hop House Ale, but that doesn't come from Roscoe. I think that's a brewery in Rochester. I've never tried that one.

Now what I really need to do is get up to the Catskills again and actually do some fishing!
Barleywine,

I don't know if you do any hiking, but my wife and I really enjoy hiking and snowshoeing... we frequent the Shawangunk Mountains and Minnewaska State Park... when we do, we make a point at stopping at the Gilded Otter in New Paltz, which is a fine little microbrewery with typical bar food... it's good, but the menu never changes like the beer menu does... the Otter has 3 or 4 stable beers that they offer and a couple/three seasonal ones besides... needless to say, we try to make four trips a year here, for those seasonal specials... this place is always hoping on weekends with hikers and mountain bikers... plus New Paltz is a college town...

And, up along the Hudson River in Athens is a microbrewery called Crossroads... it was written up in a few regional magazines... good bar food, great beers... love their red ale... also places to hike and art to see in the general area...

We know a few other microbreweries in the Hudson River Valley :oops: , and Adirondacks also :oops: :oops: , but these two by far are our favorites... ;)

Ed

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

The Gilded Otter is a great place. I've judged homebrewing competitions there, and it's a good thing the plan was for my wife to have the wheel. Their beers are top notch.

I'm going to have to try the Crossroads in Athens. Sounds like an interesting town to visit too.

Thanks for the tip Ed. :D