On the Dumbing Down of Fly Fishing....

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
catskilljohn

Re: On the Dumbing Down of Fly Fishing....

Post by catskilljohn »

Very nice story Ed! It seems to me that as a fella matures, he naturally gravitates towards the historical, gentler way of fishing. It also seems that most started off slinging bait, lures and finally, much later, flies. Again, a natural progression.

Even a "newbie" fishing for the first time with a fly rod and indicator cant be much different than a guy starting off with bait, right?

Great, great thread...one of the best on this forum...good stuff Mike! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

redietz

Post by redietz »

mikevalla wrote: The essence of the sport had not mutated; it evolved. There's a big difference. Take a moment, and sneak a look at what Shewey wrote---at a newsstand if you don't want to purchase a copy. He wasn't grumbling; he was just trying to say that some of our sport's history, our heritage, is being lost. ;)
I'd actually read it a few hours before you made the original post on the subject. I should probably re-read it before saying more but -- my initial reaction was that 1) it was thought provoking 2) I agreed with it in my gut and 3) that on sober reflection, I thought he was a bit off. I thought the article was well worth reading, and I'm glad you brought it to the attention of the board.

When I was a teen-ager, I occasionally used flies with spinner blades at the front. I'm sure purists looked down their noses on them (the same as I'll bet most of us do today.) It really doesn't bother me that some people use strike indicators; Bergman recommended using a large dry fly for just that purpose. Is it "dumbing down" because somebody is using a piece of plastic rather than a large dry?

There have always been simpler ways to catch fish on a fly. One I'm sure you can appreciate is trolling a lake with a fly. At the turn of 20rh, there were plenty of well-heeled fishermen who took off to Maine or the Adirondacks to do just that, and never learned to fish a fly any other way. Casting not required.

The wet fly nearly went extinct because dry fly purist preached that it was too simplistic and that only hoi-polloi would fish that way.

The Halfdorian "dry fly only, upstream to a rising fish" code was just too confining -- and by extension, so is almost any "this is fly fishing, that isn't" code.

I'm happy that any of the millennial generation is doing anything out of doors, let along participating in a blood sport. I'm not going to criticize how they go about it. That said, of course, I'll stick to the old ways. I am, after all, old.
Bob

TricoDoug

Post by TricoDoug »

I am two years late to the party on this but it is a fascinating thread.

The one thing I didn't see in this discussion is fishing with worms. I don't think anyone should be allowed to fly fish until they have spent a year or two digging up worms early in the morning and then traipsing off to catch sunfish and bass.

The instant gratification fly fishing hipsters that have no connection to what it was like to be a kid digging up worms and wetting a line in the local pond have missed out on a lot.

That may seem silly but it grounds your fly fishing experiences in my mind. It gives your fly fishing experience context.

I feel sorry for the guys who think it is all about the fish.

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

TricoDoug wrote:I am two years late to the party on this but it is a fascinating thread.

The one thing I didn't see in this discussion is fishing with worms. I don't think anyone should be allowed to fly fish until they have spent a year or two digging up worms early in the morning and then traipsing off to catch sunfish and bass.
Hmmm . . . good point, but the danger here is that if they move on to trout fishing with worms, they will be come very effective fly fishers, and I'm just not sure the trout need that much more exercise. And what is this "digging" of which you speak. I always snatched 'em off the top of the grass under the beam of a flashlight covered with red cellophane. :-)

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

I have not read all the posts but I think you guys need to go fishing!!!The stove top league is over.Anybody here know about Cruncher soft hackled wet flies ( A connudrmn).Had some great fishing recently when Caddis were hatching.

Tom

This post is way too serious about having fun?????

tailwater

Post by tailwater »

As long as worms have been mentioned I loved fishing with them. There is a river in the Adirondacks that is never mentioned that required about a five mile hike in that was brook trout heaven with a worm. My mom loved to eat them so I kept all that were deeply hooked which was almost all to be honest. It is also the river where I caught my very first trout on a fly.

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

upstatetrout wrote:I have not read all the posts but I think you guys need to go fishing!!!The stove top league is over.Anybody here know about Cruncher soft hackled wet flies ( A connudrmn).Had some great fishing recently when Caddis were hatching.

Tom

This post is way too serious about having fun?????

"Cruncher" is a British term for a flymph-like soft hackled stillwater pattern. Here is a link to some photos:

https://www.google.com/search?q=crunche ... d=0CB0QsAQ

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

i learned to fish with a fly rod way before i used flies. roll casting dough balls for carp or fishing a salmon egg, head of a night crawler (never the entire worm), red worm or meal worm for trout. thinking back on it my dad stressed line control, pin point and tight contact with the bait....so he was basically teaching me nymph-wet fly fishing. i soon added a nymph/wet fly dropper to the rig and fished that way for years.

still a cool thread.