Art or Craft?

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Joe Fox

Art or Craft?

Post by Joe Fox »

Is fly tying an Art or a Craft?

Personally I view myself as a craftsman.

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictonary
craft
noun \ˈkraft\
: an activity that involves making something in a skillful way by using your hands
: a job or activity that requires special skill

How do you feel about this?

narcodog

Re: Art or Craft?

Post by narcodog »

To me it can be both. A couple of weeks ago I was at the IFFF Festival in West Yellowstone where I watched both. One fellow Steven Fernandez tyes a rendition of a Catskill fly. Pure art, if you ask me, it's a fly that one would not fish.

He will be at the Fly Tying Symposium in Nov. He told me he so looking forward to meeting Mike V, Joe and other Catskill tyers. If you all get a chance sit down watch him then give him the berries. :D

If you are a craft tyer how would you classify your Grandmothers presentation flies?

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

art
ärt/
noun
1. the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
2. the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.
narcodog wrote:If you are a craft tyer how would you classify your Grandmothers presentation flies?
They display her refined craft :)

Allan

Post by Allan »

To me they are one in the same. Are you going to tell me that Bob Mead is a 'craftsman' when he ties a pattern to fish with and then he's an 'artisan' when he ties his mantis, mosquito or other realistic imitation? Sorry Bob, you were the first person I thought of when I could not differentiate the definitions. Besides, Webster was probably a worm fisherman :lol:

Allan

quadfish

Post by quadfish »

Some of you guys on this board are artists...

Some of you are crafts people....

I think Mr. Webster explains pretty well.

I am, on the other hand, a slob posing as a fly tyer. :lol: :roll: :oops: :P

-Rick :D
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

I don't want to "cop-out" but I think it can be both...

For most folks, it's probably a craft, creating a useful item to catch trout/fish... but some folks tie flies to catch people, and in that sense I think it's art... :roll:

Ed

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

art or craft?

yes.

Allan

Post by Allan »

How about a crafty artisan or an artsy craftsman :roll:

squire

Post by squire »

When I do it it's craft.

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

Allan wrote:To me they are one in the same. Are you going to tell me that Bob Mead is a 'craftsman' when he ties a pattern to fish with and then he's an 'artisan' when he ties his mantis, mosquito or other realistic imitation? Sorry Bob, you were the first person I thought of when I could not differentiate the definitions. Besides, Webster was probably a worm fisherman :lol:

Allan
What about the tier who recreates has patterns?